1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't access Windows Paint.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Robert the Bruce, Sep 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robert the Bruce

Robert the Bruce Banned Thread Starter

When I go to Start-All Programs-Accessories in an attempt to access Windows Paint I do not see Windows Paint (among other things which should be there) anywhere. So, how can I access Windows Paint and also get Windows Paint back on the Accessories list ?
    This relates to another problem. I wanted to post a screenshot of a problem I'm having when posting/sharing (music) links from YouTube to Facebook. Normally it's a simple matter of clicking 'share' and then the FB icon. Then a smaller window opens, I wait for the video thumbnail to appear and then click 'share'. However, recently there is no thumbnail. So when I go back to FB although the song has been shared there is just a white blank area where the song's thumbnail should be.
    I wanted to post a screenshot of what I see but I can't access Windows Paint. So I hope I've described the problem adequately.
    Please help.

2. 87654321

3. Robert the Bruce

4. stantley

stantley

To launch Paint go to C:\Windows\System32 and double-click on mspaint.exe.

To replace the shortcut right-click on mspaint.exe, click "Create Shortcut" and put the shortcut in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories

Then rename the shortcut to Paint.

5. Robert the Bruce

OK, I see mspaint but not mspaint.exe.
    I've pinned the shortcut to the Start menu but it's still not in Accessories where it should be.
    OK, I followed your instructions and created a shortcut to mspaint from System 32 to my desktop. From the shortcut I then pinned mspaint to the start menu. However, when I deleted the shortcut on my desktop (don't need it if it's pinned to the start menu) I see that I can't access mspaint from the start menu, the icon has changed and is mspaint is not available.

6. Robert the Bruce

Well ?

7. stantley

stantley

Read the directions again.

put the shortcut in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories

Then rename the shortcut to Paint.

I've recommended the program that 87654321 showed you in the past and I don't remember anyone having a problem with it. It's probably a false positive to Comodo.

8. Robert the Bruce

OK thanks. I'll try that again.

9. Robert the Bruce

OK I created a short cut in Windows-System 32 for mspaint (still don't see mspaint.exe. anywhere) but when I click on the shortcut and choose 'Move this file' I can't see how to move it to Start-All Programs-Accessories. I can only (it seems) move it to a folder or my Desktop. How do I move it to Start-All Programs-Accessories ?

10. stantley

stantley

In the Windows Explorer tree view click on C:\Windows\System32 and find the mspaint shortcut in the right window.

Then back in the tree view navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories but don't click on it.

Then drag-and-drop your shortcut from the right side of the screen to the Accessories folder on the left.

Here's a screen shot.

Attached Files:

11. Robert the Bruce

I don't know how to get to the point where I see what you see - i.e. the screenshot. So, how do I get Paint to here - see my screenshot.

Attached Files:

12. stantley

stantley

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories (just like in your screen shot) and click on Windows Explorer.

Then follow the directions I gave you in post #10.

13. RobOman

RobOman Temporarily Banned

Go To: start , Control Panel, Add or remove Programs, Add/Remove windows Components, Accessories and utilities, Accessories, And make sure their is a check in the box next to paint. then hit OK. if it was missing the check mark that will fix it. Hopefully you will not be asked for a disk and if it does that you have one.

Some of the above are on menus just double left click to open.

14. Robert the Bruce

The box for Windows Paint is already checked.

15. Robert the Bruce

OK, this is what I see when I click on Windows Explorer. I don't see Windows or System 32.

Please disregard. I finally did it. Everything seems fine now.
    Thank you for your patience.
    Cheers and thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1133052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice