1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't activate Administrator account in Windows 7 Ultimate

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Alex Ethridge, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

A note to moderators:
    I am not looking for help cracking a password. I am looking for help understanding why a password prompt is appearing, in other words, what might I have done wrong during setup or maybe what I might do during Windows 7 installation to prevent this happening again.

A caution to those who may reply:
    Avoid posts that deal with how to crack or otherwise bypass a password.

Now to the problem:
    I have tried both of the following methods to activate the Administrator account in Windows 7. The Admin account comes up on the windows log-in screen; but, it is asking for a password. Problem is I just minutes ago finished setting up this Windows 7 Ultimate on a new, out-of-the-box hard disk and I did not give the Admin account a password.

Command-prompt Method:
    Right-clicked the command prompt in the program list and chose "Run as administrator".
    Entered the command below and pressed enter to activate it:
    net user administrator /active:yes
    It returned "Command completed successfully"

Security Policy Snap-in Method:
    Right-clicked the command prompt in the program list and chose "Run as administrator".
    Typed secpol.msc in the Command window and pressed enter. The Local Security Policy snap-in appeared.
    Went to Local Policies> Security Options where I saw an entry that read "Accounts: Administrator account".
    Double-clicked the entry and selected the "Enable" radio button.

Is there something about the above methods of activating the Admin account that should be covered and isn't? I have enabled the Admin account in Vista before and didn't have a problem. Why is this happening in 7?

This is a new disk and a new installation so there is no user data on the disk so I'm not against installing Windows again; but, if this happened once, I'm afraid it might again. What did I do wrong?

2. Lance1

Lance1

By activate I would assume you mean Enable Have you tried enabling the admin through Manage \ Local Users and Groups \ Users? If your Windows 7 is a slipstream, you may have inadvertently disabled the account in the process.

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Yes, enable.

I think I found what caused the problem. I attempted to enable the Administrator account before activating Windows. Even after activating Windows 7, I still could not enable the Admin account without its requiring a password.

I reinstalled Windows 7, activated Windows and then enabled the Admin acct. It worked out fine.

I take this to mean that, whether intended by MS or not, if you attempt to enable the admin acct before activating Windows, you're in for trouble.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915005

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice