Solved: Can't Add HP 697C Printer connected to WinXP Pro into WinME printer choices

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HitAnyKey

Eric
I'm having difficulty getting the printer which is attached to a Win XP Pro system to be available for use by a Win ME system on the same network.

The printer is a HP Deskjet 697C. It is installed and working on the Win XP Pro system.
Both systems can see each other on the network and transfer files back and forth with no difficulty.
The printer on the XP system is marked for Sharing and File and Print Sharing is enabled.
The XP Firewall is turned off, as we use Zone Alarm Security Suite.

When I use Add Printer on the WinME machine, and try to browse for a network printer, I can expand the network to see the computer name of the XP machine, but the shared printer doesn't show up as a choice.

What are we doing wrong?

What is the share name for the printer? Win ME uses NetBIOS for local shares, and has a limit of 12 characters to a share name.

HitAnyKey

Eric
Thanks Jack. That was the problem. I didn't know that about the share name. The share name on XP was too long. Shortening it fixed the problem and it's now shared and can be printed on.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online