Solved: Can't boot from CD and hard drive is clear. Help?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mithost

For christmas this year I got a new laptop. Worked great, but it had windows 8 on it. I tried to use the OS but it really didn't work for me. Because of this, I decided to replace it with windows 7. I put in the disc, shut down the computer, and then rebooted it with the laptop's alternate power button that goes to the boot menu. I didn't see "boot from CD" there, but when I exited the bootmenu, it booted to the windows 7 setup.

I went through the normal install method and it gave me 2 errors. One was complaining about a partition format, which happened before I started, and the other one happened after it was running for 10 minutes. This one was about the recovery files being missing or corrupt. I've gotten this error before, and the guides I've looked at before said that formatting the partitions and making a new partition would fix it. I did this and it didn't give me any errors. I tried again and it gave me the same error. I went to restart the computer and it said all of the changes would be reversed, so I continued. This is where everything went wrong.

When I start up the computer, it says something like "Checking Media..." and then it tries to network boot, both times it fails. If I go into BIOS, I can only pick from the two network boots. No CD boot, no USB boot.

Help?

Edit: Here is the laptop model if you need it. http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=8c37ff24cbd4239f3bb90a22aa56e510en02

Triple6

Rob
Do you have an option of changing the BIOS mode? I bet the model has a UEFI BIOS for Windows 8 and maybe a Legacy BIOS for other operating systems. The mode setting would be in the UEFI/BIOS.

Mithost

I have this option. I also have a secure boot option. I have tried every combination of these options to attempt to get it to boot from CD, none have worked. I am currently attempting to make a windows 7 USB because in BIOS there is a "USB Boot" setting (not a boot option though).

Triple6

Rob
Secure boot should be off, and Legacy BIOS should be selected.

Mithost

After I set those settings to what you suggested, What should I do? Should I attempt booting from CD? Normal boot?

Edit: These settings worked. I still don't have a CD drive option, but when I let it boot normally it will boot to the CD. My windows 7 CD seems to have an issue so I'm going to have to use ubuntu 12.04 until I can make a new disc. Thank you Triple6!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online