1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't boot from DVD...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Algreen, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Algreen

Algreen Thread Starter

So, I have an HP desktop with Win 7, I have forgotten the Admin password, I don't have recovery disk or original installation disk. I was advised that if I burn a trial Win 7 ISO using my good laptop and then boot from DVD on my bad desktop - I may have a way of recovering my desktop computer. I want it as a lab machine but can't install anything on it or do much on it at the moment in it's Guest account mode.
    I have set the BIOS to boot from the DVD but it does not, it seems to try but gives up straight away and moves on to booting from hard disk. So if I buy a new copy of Windows, how can I be sure the computer will read it? :confused:

2. huggie54

huggie54

hi,forum rules state no help with passwords,that said can you access the PC via guest account

3. Algreen

Algreen Thread Starter

Yea, got guest access

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Unless you correctly downloaded and saved and burned that Windows 7 .iso file, you're not going to see the Press any key to boot from CD or DVD command if it's not bootable.

And as huggie54 already advised, we don't assist with a forgotten password.

---------------------------------------------------------

5. Algreen

Algreen Thread Starter

So, do I need to get another Windows 7? And because I can't do much without UAC wanting an Admin password, will I be able to install it? Are you allowed to help with those questions?

6. Algreen

Algreen Thread Starter

Nor does it seem, can I turn said bad desktop in to host for VMware ESXi Hypervisor for VSphere thingy so I can have trial Win Server 2012. It just won't boot from that .ios image either, what am I doing wrong? Could it be the cheap DVD-R's I bought? Surely not.. Please help, this is a right mess...

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model name and model number of that HP computer?

If you don't know for sure, advise what the product number(P/N) and/or model number(M/N) on the sticker is.

----------------------------------------------------------

8. Algreen

Algreen Thread Starter

Thanks for reply, all I can tell is from System Information and that it is a HP xw 4400 Workstation, this is a custom build (from Amazon 3rd party) so that's all I can see, no sticker on main board... It won't even let Speccy tell me the proper details because of UAC...

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    HP xw4400 WorkStation

Depending on what product number it is, it came with Windows XP Professional or Windows Vista Business.

The Microsoft Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker will confirm which operating system came installed in it.

The Computer Surgeons HP Recovery Center appears to have a recovery disc kit for it.

------------------------------------------------------------

10. Algreen

Algreen Thread Starter

Yes, it came originally with XP Pro, will check Computer Surgeons. Thank you.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If that's the case, AH004AV should be the recovery disc kit you need.

----------------------------------------------------------

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091034

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice