Solved: Can't Boot off a CD, Flashed wrong BIOS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tacoman359

I flashed my BIOS a couple weeks ago and I ended up using the wrong one. I used Everest to check what version my BIOS was because I didn't feel like rebooting, which was stupid of me. Anyways, my computer is working fine. The only thing that I have noticed is that I cannot boot off of a CD. I have found the correct BIOS update here and was wondering how I can format the disk and copy the files without using an IBM pre-formatted disk because I have used up all of my pre-formatted disks.

This may also not be an issue that is caused by me attempting to install the wrong BIOS update. At the end of the BIOS update it says that it fails, but I'm not sure if it still copies some files or not. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

You flashed the motherboard bios and not the cd firmware, right?

If your mobo bios failed, you likely wouldn't be able to use the pc, if you used a different version for your mobo, but not the one you wanted, you'd be fine, just use the one you want next time.
I don't know what you mean failed, was that the whole message? Was anything changed?

tacoman359

Yes, I mean the motherboard BIOS. It doesn't appear that anything changed, but it may have added a couple files or something, that's the only thing I can think of.

What about the pre-formatted IBM disks? Is there any way I can make one of those? When I try formatting the disk with Windows XP and then dragging all the files in from the cab folder (which was created by the file I downloaded from Gateway), it just says to remove the disk every time I boot.

Something is very odd here.If the bios format failed, then there should be no bios if done right because the old bios would be removed...odds are nothing has really happened here and we need to deal with the issue why cd won't boot.
I also don't understand about disks that are preformatted? Buy more or format them in My Computer...are you talking about floppy disks I believe?

If you didn't use the Gateway BIOS update, what did you use the update from the BIOS manufacturers site?

I don't recall exactly, but there is a difference in IBM pre-formatted floppies and Windows formatted floppies.

I had to flash the BIOS on an older Gateway a couple of years ago, and I recall the 1st time I tried I just used a floppy I had formatted with Windows 2000 and the BIOS would not flash. I had a box of IBM formatted floppies and used one, and the BIOS flashed with no problems.

At the Gateway BIOS download you linked to in post #1, they specifically tell you the BIOS flash will fail if using a floppy formatted in Windows 2000, Windows NT, or Windows XP, and to use an IBM formatted disk.

I would just buy a box of 5 IBM pre-formmated disks, follow the Gateway instructions, and try the flash again.

tacoman359

Like I said, I was using Everest and it said some random thing and not my real motherboard. Anyways, I found a solution to both. I went to bootdisk.com and downloaded the disk for BIOS flashing, then copied all of the files created by the Gateway BIOS thing to the same floppy that I put the BIOS flashing utility on. Then, I booted from that disk and just ran the autorun.exe file and everything worked great.

As for the CD drive, it turned out that I had to unplug one of my CD drives for some reason. I'm pretty sure I have them setup properly, one is the master and one is the slave (I think) and they're configured properly in my BIOS.

So basically I flashed my BIOS for nothing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts