1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Cant boot reused Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by petgrave, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. petgrave

petgrave Thread Starter

I just finished rebuilding my Home PC and I am now trying to reuse the old motherboard in another box. The board was working fine in the other machine. Now using the same PS and bare minimum I get no beeps, no display on the monitor. Only the CPU fan activity is noticeable. Not sure how to troubleshoot further than the PS voltages.
    The board is by PC Chips - M748LMRT with Slot-1 fitted a 600 MHz Intel Pentium 2 processor. I want to verify if the BIOS is the problem but IU am not sure how to troubleshoot that also. I would appreciate any help offered.

PS. Just realised I should have opened this in another forum - Software & Hardware. Perhaps the moderator can move it for me.

2. ratchet

ratchet

I would double check to make sure the mother board is not grounded to the case.

Then reseat cpu/fan and all components that you installed.

As I'm sure you know it should at least list bios, test video, and beep at that point if it does not see your video ram.

3. petgrave

petgrave Thread Starter

I have now stripped it o bare minuimum and on a bench out of the case with speaker, PS, memory and CPU only.
    No beeps & no video. Any suggestion will be appreciated

4. ratchet

ratchet

Which power supply are you using? The one from origanal case you took the M/B out of, or a different one?

What is the make and rating of P/supply?
    Is the P/Supply fan running?

Double check the voltage switch. (110-220)

Are you familar with the use of a multi-meter?

5. MacDknife

MacDknife

HI!
    try using another memory chip. If you have more than 1 chip, remove all and just try 1 in turn or a new one....
    : )
    MacDknife

6. petgrave

petgrave Thread Starter

At first I started with a different PS but after I realised it it was not booting I started using the original PS which didn't make a difference. It has 2 memory sticks, same ones as before and i tried booting with one at a time. The AC setting is OK, 110 volts and the CPU fan is the only noticeable activity, it spins when I power-up the board.
    I can use a DMM, I have a Fluke model 83.

7. MacDknife

MacDknife

Very often faulty memory can cause the problem you have, but there can of course be other causes. I would first measure all the voltages to see that each pin is in the PS connector has the correct voltage. If that is ok I would test the two memory chips in another computer to check that they are OK ( CONFIRM COMPATIBILITY WITH THAT COMPUTER FIRST! - voltage, bus frequency and parity ). If they are ok, then I would turn to the CPU, testing that in another compatible computer as well.

Very often static electricity can cause faults in chips, like memory, CPU or even motherboards. Always ensure therefore that you are properly grounded to whatever you are working on. (Just putting your hand on the PS casing a few seconds can do the trick). I have attached a document with some info I hope can help you as well...
    : )
    MacDknife

Attached Files:

8. petgrave

petgrave Thread Starter

Hey Guys, I got the board working again. Sorry I took so long to get back but I was swamped with work on the job plus some other matters.
    After all the efforts, resetting CMOS with the jumper and all in desparation I just took out the battery and after a day put it back in. It booted fine.
    Thanks again for all the help and suggestions

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115325

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice