1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't boot up anymore.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by CaptainSiberia, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CaptainSiberia

CaptainSiberia Thread Starter

Well, I now have an unbootable computer. I don't know what's wrong. When it tries to boot, it gets a BSOD, and it goes by too fast for me to possibly read it. I heard you can change this option by getting into a special menu with F8, but F8 doesn't do anything for me. I heave the option of loading Startup Repair, too, but its SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW! There's no way this can be right! (Maybe I need to put the harddrive on an eternal reader and grab the dumps.)

Prior to this, the OS was laggy. I was playing music with Winamp, and it k.....ept pausing. Prior to that, I had a mess where all the programs became unresponsive and I had to force a reboot. Now, this may be unrelated, but prior to all of this, I had not one but two harddrives start to fail. One of them did fail. Now, I'm being good as far as I know. I have a surge protector on this stuff. Is there a surge coming from within? Is it time for a new motherboard, and is that the only thing that will save me? Am I smarter than I look, or not?

I'm on a budget. I really don't want to have to replace everything if I can avoid it.

I'm running WIndows 7 on a Gigabyte H55M.

2. jhayz

jhayz

With a BSOD on early boot up, try removing some components on your motherboard such as RAM stick alternately using each on different slots. If the BSOD does not appears, then you are done or have found the culprit. If the mobo is using a PCI graphics, use the onboard to check or see if the BSOD disappears. A bad PSU could also be part of the problem so a swap of same or higher wattage output is also a safe approach to troubleshoot.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You have to repeatedly and quickly press F8. The option is only active for a short while and it is easy to miss it.

4. CaptainSiberia

I done tried that. It didn't work.

I tried booting with just one memory stick in there. First one, then the other. Didn't help. Might try this graphics card thing. And the PSU.

5. DaveBurnett

Reset the BIOS??

6. CaptainSiberia

Update: After the repair routine, it boots. But I'm not sure it will stay fixed. I think maybe I should grab a minidump for you guys. Where is it stored?

7. DaveBurnett

Windows\Minidump
    There are also other files that may indicate failures. I use several standalone programs from Nirsoft.
    BlueScreenView does the dumps.http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
    The others are the suggestions on that page -minus WhatsInStartUp as I use Codestuff Starter for that and managing Services.

One other is MyEventViewer from Nirsoft which just combines all the Event Viewer logs into one so you can see a timeline of events.

8. CaptainSiberia

You won't believe it. The latest minidump was generated 15 days ago, so it's no help at all. However, I changed my settings so that the system won't automatically restart in the event of BSOD on startup, so if this happens again, I'll be able to read it.

Furthermore, I've been thinking of just plain upgrading to Windows 8. Might solve things, might not. I was gonna wait until there was better general acceptance, but I might go ahead.

9. jhayz

jhayz

I would run a diagnostic test for your hard drive first just to make sure it is not the culprit before moving on to a OS upgrade just in case. The event viewer would also show some information regarding the last error codes related.

10. DaveBurnett

Also look at those other utilities I mentioned as they all report on errors and warnings.

11. CaptainSiberia

None of them really looked promising. Was there any particular one you recommend?

12. CaptainSiberia

Aw, but I just replaced this drive a few months ago! It's not allowed to go bad yet!

None of them really looked promising. Was there any particular one you recommend?

13. DaveBurnett

Well you won't know until you try. I use them all.

14. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    I would recommend the BlueScreenView its VERY simple to use and shoes exactly what driver causes the BSOD's

15. jhayz

jhayz

This part is highlighted as precautionary measures regardless if the drive is one day or year of used. A warranty period could cover them depending on the policy return.
    Just wondering as to what happen on this part...?

You can upload and share the dmp logs by going to C:\Windows\Minidumps folder. Open the folder and transfer the 5 latest dmp logs onto desktop by right-clicking and send to zip folder. Upload the folder and share the link thru https://www.box.com/

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1112465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice