Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Can't boot Vista - Error 17: File not found

5K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
Yesterday, I installed the Windows Vista Service Pack 2 and now my notebook won't boot. It gives me this:

Booting 'Windows Vista'

acpi
[activation "crack" reference removed by mod]

Done!
fallback 1
find --set-root /bootmgr

Error 17: File not found
Booting 'Windows NT/2000/XP'

fallback 2
find --set-root /ntldr

Error 17: File not found
Booting 'Enter Command Line'

Boot failed! Press any key to enter command line.

I also updated the Nvidia driver and installed Orca and Bluestacks Android Emulator yesterday, if that helps.

I have a Compaq Presario notebook, and Vista Home Premium. My notebook had 2 partitions, C:/ and D:/. C: was for Windows and other programs and D: was for games, videos, and pics.

How big did I screw it up?

See less See more
#2 ·
What's the model number of that Compaq Presario notebook?

What's the part/product number(P/N) on it?

---------------------------------------------------------

What did you use to install Windows Vista SP2?

How was it activated after installing it?

----------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
I removed the reference to an activation "crack." We do not support any such thing. Since it is not common for people to steal Vista, I'll give you a chance to explain that. And if your version is legit, ...

Please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and post back the report it creates:
  • Download MGADiag to your desktop.
  • Double-click on MGADiag.exe to launch the program
  • Click "Continue"
  • Ensure that the "Windows" tab is selected (it should be by default).
  • Click the "Copy" button to copy the MGA Diagnostic Report to the Windows clipboard.
  • Paste the MGA Diagnostic Report back here in your next reply.

#6 ·
Here is the support site for the Compaq Presario CQ60-400EQ Notebook (NY255EA)

According to its product specifications section, it appears it came with FreeDOS and did not come with any version of Windows.

It appears to have full driver support for Windows Vista and Windows 7, 32-bit and 64-bit.

-----------------------------------------------------------

#8 ·
The download link that you provided in post #3 is for the SP2(Service Pack 2) upgrade for Windows Vista 32-bit which was released in May 2009.

Why is the SP2 upgrade being installed now?

Did you recently install Windows Vista SP1 in that notebook?

#9 ·
Attempt, often initially successful, to make a pirated Windows activate the same way a genuine version does.

Depends on who "they" are.
Sorry, I thought you mean the link to the SP2.

I don't know much about computers. A colleague of my father helped us buy a notebook cheaper, by buying it from a storehouse directly, rather then from the store. Than that colleague told us to leave him the notebook for a day to help us install the important programs. This is the Windows I had since the beginning.

#10 ·
The download link that you provided in post #3 is for the SP2(Service Pack 2) upgrade for Windows Vista 32-bit which was released in May 2009.

Why is the SP2 upgrade being installed now?

Did you recently install Windows Vista SP1 in that notebook?

I tried to install Bluestacks, but it told me I need SP2, so I decide to install it. I had the same Windows for a few years, unchanged.

#11 ·
It's only a suspicion but I think that the colleague was able to save you money by buying with FreeDOS and installing a pirated Vista. And now there is an incompatibility between the "crack" (code used to make the OS look legit) and SP2. Microsoft is continually improving their fraud detection.

#12 ·
It's only a suspicion but I think that the colleague was able to save you money by buying with FreeDOS and installing a pirated Vista. And now there is an incompatibility between the "crack" (code used to make the OS look legit) and SP2. Microsoft is continually improving their fraud detection.
Damn. If I buy Windows Vista, will I be able to install it? Or I need to do something else first?

Also, even if I can access my notebook again, will I lose my saved data?

#13 ·
If I buy Windows Vista, will I be able to install it?
Yes, but it may be difficult to buy at this late date. See if the OEM offers it or maybe a set of Recovery DVDs (which would be less expensive and more convenient).

will I lose my saved data?
Data that has been saved (copied or backed up) to external media is safe. Data that you only have the one copy of is in jeopardy. My way to back it up at this point is by using a "Rescue Disk" such as Puppy Linux. Those who are more hardware oriented advise to put the hard drive into an external USB enclosure and connect it to another computer to backup the data.

#14 ·
Yes, but it may be difficult to buy at this late date. See if the OEM offers it or maybe a set of Recovery DVDs (which would be less expensive and more convenient).

Data that has been saved (copied or backed up) to external media is safe. Data that you only have the one copy of is in jeopardy. My way to back it up at this point is by using a "Rescue Disk" such as Puppy Linux. Those who are more hardware oriented advise to put the hard drive into an external USB enclosure and connect it to another computer to backup the data.
I think it would be better to get the notebook to a tech repair center. I don't think I can pull it out on my own.

Thanks for the help! And sorry for the bother.

#16 ·
I've already checked, and neither "HP Customer Care" or "Computer Surgeons HP Recovery Center" have a recovery disc kit available for purchase for that model notebook.

Since that notebook has full driver support for Windows 7, you might consider having a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32-bit or Windows 7 Professional SP1 32-bit done in it.

Just make sure to first backup your personal data to some reliable external media so you don't lose it.

------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.