1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't change boot order

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hansmax, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

I'm trying to set up WinXP on an old computer, in which I have installed the hdd from another computer which has WinXP from a that computer installed on it. The hdd drive has four partitions - 1. with WinXP (formatted NTFS), 2. a storage partition formatted FAT 32, 3. a Ubuntu 8.1 partition formatted for Linux, and 4., a small swap partition for the Linux. Everything on the drive was installed when the drive was in the other computer. I am now installing the drive back in the computer it was originally in, but I know I will have to reinstall everything, since the drivers are all incorrect drivers, etc. I replaced the CMOS battery in the old computer that I am bringing back to life, so the Award BIOS should be set back to default. My problem is that I can't reset the boot order so that I can boot from the Windows XP CD. At the screen to do this I am given the following options:

1. Removable Drive (Legacy Floppy is selected) gives these options:

Disabled
    Legacy Floppy
    LS 120
    ZIP
    ATAPI MO
    USB FDD
    USB ZIP

2. IDE Hard Drive (ST3200822A is selected) has the following options:

Disabled
    ST3200822A

3. ATAPI CD ROM (the SONY DW-DZ is selected) has the following options:

Disabled
    SONY DVD RW DW-DZ
    Samsung CD-R/RW SW 240B

4. Other

Disabled
    SCSI Boot Device
    INT 18 Dev (Network device) (this one is selected)

I don't seem to have the choice to switch to having a DVD drive boot before the HDD. (Tried switching to ATAPI MO for the first drive, but it just tried to boot from the HDD again.) The motherboard is fairly old - 2001 or so, and is an ASUS P4S533. The BIOS is Award, not sure of the version.

The extra CD drive is not necessary, just happened to have one and had it in in case I wanted to copy a CD, which I rarely have, so it doesn't really need to be there. I do have a floppy drive (as indicated above), which I haven't used in ages, either. I think it still works (at least it's recognized).

I have used this board since the beginning of this century and never had this problem before. Previous to this I was always given the option of all the drives under each setting, so I could pretty much set the boot order any way I wanted. I would appreciate any ideas or input as to why this has happened at this stage of the game.

2. Sponsor

3. moper

moper

It is possible that your motherboard does not support booting from a CD.

All you have to do is create a boot floppy, switch to the CD, and run the setup.

You can download the XP boot disks(6, I think) OR boot to a Windows 98se disk, switch to the CD drive, and run Winnt.exe that is in the i386 folder.

Bootdisks:http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

moper

4. Smiles n' grins

Smiles n' grins

Are you trying to rearrange the boot order from the boot menu or in the BIOS settings?

You could always just use a temporary boot menu to boot from one of the drives. Your BIOS screen should flash the function key that will take you to the menu to boot, along with the BIOS setup (which should be where you should rearrange your boot order).

5. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

Yes, the above boot order options are the ones in BIOS setup. It shows the first through the fourth boot devices. My problem is that I can't specify my DVD drive ahead of the hard drive, and I can't move my hard drive back behind the DVD either. Usually you have a choice of all the drives in each position so that you can boot almost any drive in any order. Here there doesn't seem to be any duplication from one position to the next so that each position (i.e., 1 through 4) has options for a different set of devices. I used this computer as my main computer for five years and know that it worked like any "typical" computer, allowing me to boot from a CD and change around the boot order.

6. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

Well, I must return with my usual red face. It has been awhile since I've been into that BIOS setup, and I just now noticed that rather than changing the device in each position (like some I've seen), I just had to select the position and move it up and down the list with the + and - keys. Sorry to have been a bother. Thanks for responding, moper and Smiles n' grins. I will mark this solved and try to read the fine print a little better next time.

7. Smiles n' grins

Smiles n' grins

Ha ha! Well that was a simple solution. I've had the same thing happen to me, so I can understand your pain.

Glad it's fixed!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/816080