1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't change Home Page

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by wpspws, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wpspws

wpspws Thread Starter

I was having problems with IE 7 and used the button for Reset Internet Explorer Settings in Internet Options. Now, my Home Page is a Dellnet (actually the computer can't connect to it) web address and I have not been able to set it back to 'blank page.' I have used the Internet Options and the 'Home' button and have even re-started the computer but it still keeps the Dellnet address. I've run SpyBot and SpySweeper but still can't get the Home Page to be 'blank page.'

2. jieyu4

jieyu4

go to the left side of the browser click on the little house thingy, then go down to remove and then remove all. that should give you a blank page as home page

if you don't really understand what i said try to follow the picture

Attached Files:

3. wpspws

wpspws Thread Starter

Thanks, but I've already tried that. Any other ideas?

4. stantley

stantley

Both Spybot and Spy Sweeper have an option to prevent your home page from changing, so you change it and when you reboot it goes back to what it was.

In Spy Sweeper go to Shields > Internet Explorer and uncheck 'IE Hijack Shield'. You can put the check back in after you successfully change your home page.

In Spybot make sure the mode is set to advanced, go to Tools > IE Tweaks and make sure the box 'Lock IE start page setting against user changes' is unchecked. Then go to Browser Pages and change your home page to what you want.

5. wpspws

wpspws Thread Starter

Ok, I tried that and it didn't work. Actually, I don't keep Spy Sweeper (or Spybot) on because it churns the computer too much; I just open them up every so often and run sweeps. Please continue to think of ways to get rid of Dellnet.com as my home page. Thanks.

6. stantley

stantley

What other anti-spyware apps do you have? Many of them will lock the home page.

7. wpspws

wpspws Thread Starter

Just those 2 and Norton Anti-Virus. And let me mention again, that this problem occurred when I selected the reset button for Reset Internet Explorer Settings in Internet Options. I did that because someone had suggested that as a remedy for the "C++ Event Sink, failed to unadvise" message that I was occassionally getting when closing an IE7 window. I haven't had that message however now I have this home page problem.

8. franca

franca

Use Firefox.........It's better and safer.......(y)

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

9. kenandkat

kenandkat

Just wanted to let you know that I had this same exact problem with Dellnet.com and I finally discovered what to do to fix mine. Hopefully it will help you to. Apparently Norton antivirus also has a homepage blocker that I didn't even know about. You can find it by going to your Norton program and clicking on "security basics" on the Norton Protection Center page (this is the first page that comes up for me). Then click "auto-protect", then "configure auto-protect". This brings up a menu on the left that has the homepage blocker. I was able to turn this off, change my homepage back and then turn the blocker back on. Hope this helps. If it doesn't ask to change your question over to the security category. They were very helpful over there.

10. wpspws

wpspws Thread Starter

PERFECT! It worked. I don't know why it was a problem with Norton since I had the home page settings already on but I guess I won't question it. After I was done I reset them and have tested it a couple of times - I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks a million!

11. kenandkat

kenandkat

I'm glad that worked for you too.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice