1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't Change IE Homepage and Can't Resize Pages

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by referee07, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Recently, my IE has changed to MSN.com and the IE pages are not full-page. I have go to IE Tools and Internet Options to change my homepage back several times, but this has not worked. Also, I have drug the pages to the bottom of the screen but each time I open IE the pages are not full-page. I think that I may have inherited some malware, but Malwarebyes and Spyware S&D have found nothing. Any and all suggestions regarding these problems are welcome and thanks in advance.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, it sounds like malware. Better get a cleanup done.

But are you sure that you don't have something installed that is set to block changes in the home page? I don't know how MSN got there, but that could prevent you from changing it. Spybot has those settings. It also has others if you immunized, and the Teatimer running will have an affect, too.

3. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Evandil, thanks for the reply. I will check the Spybot settings. Also, how can I see if Teatimer is running?

4. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Elvandil, it was System Mechanic's System Guard. When I turned System Guard off and set my homepage, the homepage didn't change. Thanks for the help. (PS: Sorry for misspelling your name in my previous post.)

Referee07

5. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Sorry, referee07, but I think that's a perfect description of System Guard. More information here. And that also applies to the bogus System Mechanic package. It's just another rogue utility.

6. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Snagglegaster, thanks for the info. I have used System Mechanic for quite awhile and haven't had any problems other than with System Guard. Do you have any suggestions on good programs that are able to "tune-up" a computer's system, e.g., clean and tune-up the registry, get rid of useless, unwanted programs, etc? Again, thanks for the info.

7. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

Take a look at Iobit's Advanced SystemCare. I've been using it since it broke on to the scene back in the day in 2007 (it was called Advanced WindowsCare at the time), and it hasn't failed me yet!

8. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

ShadowProwler420, thanks. I'll check it out. Recently, I have read several not-too-positive postings regarding System Mechanic.

9. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

ShadowProwler420, apparently Advanced System Care is a free program. Is there a "for-pay" version that is better than the free one?

10. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

There is a pro version of ASC (link) that has extra features the free version doesn't. See the attached image to see the difference.

Attached Files:

11. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

ShadowProwler420, thanks again. I bought the Pro version of Advance System Care. It was a little shy of $21.00 with the download protection included which I thought was a pretty good buy. Take care and thanks again.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024611

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice