Solved: Can't change screen area or colors in display settings, please help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mojomoggy

Old computer, usually realiable but still running on windows 98SE. Turned on the computer yesterday and went to make a coffee while it booted up. When I came back it was as if I hadn't even turned it on. Tried switching it on again and it loaded into safe mode. Did shutdown and restarted it and got a message: something about windows protection and that the computer had to shut down. So I shut it down and then when I restarted it would load into safe mode. Went round in circles for hours. Ran various checks with the help of a friend through msconfig and system information but nothing seemed to help.

Gave up in the end and left it but when I switched it on this morning it loaded up into windows ok. Stupidly thought it was ok but now I can't change the colour from 16 or the screen size from 640x480. I make the changes and restart but the changes don't save. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm getting out of my depth and haven't got a clue what to do next...

Try a registry restore.

At startup tap F8 or press CTRL and keep it pressed until the start menu appears.

Select Command Prompt and at the C:\ prompt type:

SCANREG /RESTORE (space between G and /)

Press Enter, select a date just before the problem started and restart when finished.

See if that helps.

Zee

blues_harp28

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi and welcome to TSG.
If Blue Zee's suggestion dosent work..you will have to update your Video Drivers.
Right ckick My Computer>properties>device manager.
Click on + sign next to Display Adapters.
What is listed there?

mojomoggy

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Blue Zee! That seems to have done the trick.

Blues Harp, if I could pick your brain a little more...I checked device manager anyway. NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro
Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA). (Has an exclamation mark at it.)
What does this mean? I'm not computer illiterate but definitely lacking in knowledge.

Great news, glad it was that simple.

Delete that Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) in Safe Mode, that is probably a left over that may have caused the problem.

To boot to Safe Mode, at startup tap F8 or press CTRL and keep it pressed until the Start Menu appears. Select Safe Mode and proceed.

Go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager and delete that wrong entry under Display Adapter.

(Above comment with due respect, blues_harp28)

Zee

mojomoggy

Right, I deleted the PCI thing (excuse my technically inept vocab) and when I restarted I was asked to re-install it. Cancelled that and everything loaded up fine. Will I be asked to do that every time?

mojomoggy said:
Right, I deleted the PCI thing (excuse my technically inept vocab) and when I restarted I was asked to re-install it. Cancelled that and everything loaded up fine. Will I be asked to do that every time?
Hopefully not, but do post back if it keeps reappearing.

Zee

mojomoggy

I've been imagining terribly expensive problems that would take weeks to sort and it all turned out to be so simple (fingers crossed)! You've saved me hours of unnecessary bored time. Thanks guys!

Thank you Blue Zee!!! I had the same problem as mojomoggy and the reinstalling driver option people told me to do wasn't working for me because I didn't even know which one I had (long story). Anyway, thanks for the help.

CaptainPlanet said:
Thank you Blue Zee!!! I had the same problem as mojomoggy and the reinstalling driver option people told me to do wasn't working for me because I didn't even know which one I had (long story). Anyway, thanks for the help.
(y)

i have windows 98 on my omnibook 6000 and i cant change the 640 x 480 pixels to make it take up the full screen can some one tell me what to do

Com34,

Press DEL at startup to enter Bios Setup.

Go through the Bios menus and locate an entry called HV Expansion.

Confirm it is enabled. I believe it isn't, so turn it ON, save the changes and exit Bios setup.

See if that works for you.

Zee

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts