1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't Compress Files to Zip Folders

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by darknight25, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darknight25

darknight25 Thread Starter

Thank you for your help with this problem in advance. Recently my Windows Vista is refusing to compress files like Word documents to zip folders. When I try to compress, I get the message, "Unable to complete the operation. Access is denied." I tried compressing in Safe Mode, but it didn't help.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. darknight25

I went through those steps. Everything was set up correctly, but the compression still won't work.

4. Phantom010

You could try it with 7-Zip?

5. darknight25

Is 7-Zip an alternative compression program? I really want to fix Windows' default compression program. I don't mean to be difficult; I just really want to fix this problem.

6. Phantom010

Try this ZipFix.

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Restart the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file (in Notepad), right-click the file (before opening it) and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

7. darknight25

Alright, I did that, but still no change.

8. valis

valis Moderator

just to verify, you went through all the steps on that site? Including the icacls commands? Those are key.

9. darknight25

When I got to the second command and typed it in, I got a message saying that Windows Operating System has stopped working. The same thing happened when I typed in the third command. The first command worked fine.

10. darknight25

Also, I just want you to know that I didn't do the icacls commands earlier because the website seemed to indicate that you didn't need to if you were able to create and delete a file in the TEMP folder, which I was able to do.

11. valis

valis Moderator

please run through all the commands on that page. When you posted 'i went through those steps' I assumed you had gone through those steps.

thanks,

v

12. darknight25

I did type in all three commands. The first one worked, the second and third ones resulted in a Windows Operating System error.

13. valis

valis Moderator

start > run > eventvwr.msc > enter > expand the windows logs > right click and empty both system and application, then reboot.

Once rebooted, please try to add a file to windows file compression, after it fails, start > run > eventvwr.msc > enter > check both the system logs and windows logs and open any with a red mark. Find the one that relates to the compression, click the copy and paste icon, and then come back here and paste it.

I've got a ton on my plate at work currently but will be checking in infrequently during the day. Phantom010 is easily qualified to check those event logs.

thanks,

v

14. darknight25

I cleared those logs, rebooted, and checked through the logs. The only ones that seem like they could relate to the compression issue are these ones:

Event 10, WMI

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Event 10016, DistributedCOM

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {C97FCC79-E628-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1}
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Event 7000, Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider

The Parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

15. valis

valis Moderator

I need to ask some questions with some friends of mine on this.....not entirely certain I know the fix but I am certain that I have seen this before....As it's Friday evening, and I'm asking people outside the US, please be patient as the result may not come back this evening.

thanks,

v

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141204

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice