Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Can't Compress Files to Zip Folders

39K views 44 replies 5 participants last post by  valis 
#1 ·
Thank you for your help with this problem in advance. Recently my Windows Vista is refusing to compress files like Word documents to zip folders. When I try to compress, I get the message, "Unable to complete the operation. Access is denied." I tried compressing in Safe Mode, but it didn't help.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

#6 ·
Try this ZipFix.

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Restart the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file (in Notepad), right-click the file (before opening it) and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

#11 ·
please run through all the commands on that page. When you posted 'i went through those steps' I assumed you had gone through those steps.

thanks,

v

#13 ·
start > run > eventvwr.msc > enter > expand the windows logs > right click and empty both system and application, then reboot.

Once rebooted, please try to add a file to windows file compression, after it fails, start > run > eventvwr.msc > enter > check both the system logs and windows logs and open any with a red mark. Find the one that relates to the compression, click the copy and paste icon, and then come back here and paste it.

I've got a ton on my plate at work currently but will be checking in infrequently during the day. Phantom010 is easily qualified to check those event logs.

thanks,

v

#14 ·
I cleared those logs, rebooted, and checked through the logs. The only ones that seem like they could relate to the compression issue are these ones:

Event 10, WMI

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Event 10016, DistributedCOM

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C97FCC79-E628-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Event 7000, Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider

The Parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

#15 ·
I need to ask some questions with some friends of mine on this.....not entirely certain I know the fix but I am certain that I have seen this before....As it's Friday evening, and I'm asking people outside the US, please be patient as the result may not come back this evening.

thanks,

v

#16 ·
Hi, go to start, search and type:- cmd right click on cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" a command prompt will open, copy the below cmd in red and paste it into the command window.

reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ZFSENDTOTARGET\UserChoice" > 0 & notepad 0 press enter

Please copy and paste the notepad outcome here.

#21 ·
Hi, actually I just read the registry fix from Phantom, that key is a sub key of .ZFSENDTOTARGET deleted by the fix and recreated with new value data, in the HKCR. This should overwrite any per user settings, so in other words Shawn's reg fix already removed that errant (userchoice) sub key, if it ever existed.

I would try the reg fix from Phantom again, Restart when finished.Outside of that you have me stumped.

#23 ·
Here it is, Phantom:

ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
APPDATA=C:\Users\Stephen\AppData\Roaming
asl.log=Destination=file;OnFirstLog=command,environment
CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
COMPUTERNAME=STEPHEN-PC
ComSpec=C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
DFSTRACINGON=FALSE
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Users\Stephen
LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\Stephen\AppData\Local
LOGONSERVER=\\STEPHEN-PC
MSWorksProductCode={15BC8CD0-A65B-47D0-A2DD-90A824590FA8}
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2
OnlineServices=Online Services
OS=Windows_NT
Path=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Microsoft Online Services;C:
\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Windows\system32;C:
\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\hp\bin\Python;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPo
werShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin;C:\Program F
iles\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\;C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\Qt\Qt 4.3.3
;C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
PCBRAND=Presario
Platform=HPD
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 2, AuthenticAMD
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=15
PROCESSOR_REVISION=6b02
ProgramData=C:\ProgramData
ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
PROMPT=$P$G
PSModulePath=C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\
PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public
SESSIONNAME=Console
SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\Windows
TEMP=C:\Users\Stephen\AppData\Local\Temp
TMP=C:\Users\Stephen\AppData\Local\Temp
TRACE_FORMAT_SEARCH_PATH=\\NTREL202.ntdev.corp.microsoft.com\4F18C3A5-CA09-4DBD-
B6FC-219FDD4C6BE0\TraceFormat
USERDOMAIN=Stephen-PC
USERNAME=Stephen
USERPROFILE=C:\Users\Stephen
windir=C:\Windows

C:\Users\Stephen>

Also, Jenae, I tried the Reg Edit suggestion, but the same thing happened as before. The icacls commands caused an error message saying that Windows Operating System has stopped working.

#25 ·
Hi, your environment variables are as they should be. I am concerned by the Icacls , I did not note this before, it's why we are not getting anyware. Is your account an admin account?

Go to start, search and type:- cmd right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt copy paste the below cmd's in red:-

takeown /f C:\windows press enter

You should receive a success message " The file (or folder): "C:\windows" now owned by user "stephen" (or whatever your full account name is)

Next still at cmd prompt type:-

icacls c:\windows /grant stephen:f ( you will need to substitute whatever the first cmd say's is "owner" here.

Restart computer run the Phantom's fix.

#26 ·
Jenae,

The two commands you gave me worked. I then tried Phanton's fix, but the system would not let me rename the Temp folder. I got a message labelled "Destination folder access denied", which said, "You need permission to perform this action." I clicked "Try again" multiple times, but the message box just keeps reappearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.