1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't connect Laptop through wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pamray12, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pamray12

pamray12 Thread Starter

l have a Windows XP Packard Bell Laptop about 5 years old. Previous to changing my supplier from Virgin l ran my Desktop a Vista Basic Acer Aspire and the Laptop through a Belkin Wireless Router with a stand alone cable modem.
    My supplier TalkTalk has provided their own Wireless Router and they only support Huawei adapters.
    l have no idea what this means as my technical knowledge of computers is zero.

Has anyone any idea how l can get my Laptop online any advice is greatly appreciated

Pam

2. Hughv

Hughv

3. pamray12

pamray12 Thread Starter

Hi Hughv

l got it from the technical support person who answered my call to TalkTalk the other day.

l will go onto the link you provided and see if there is anything there to help me

Pam

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    talk talk often suppy Huawei routers - but any adapter should work - I have setup two talktalk accounts now using their Huawei router and it has worked with Samsung, Sony Toshiba laptops and an edimax USB adapter

I like the router, it can sit on a sideboard with a photo-in and look OK - while supplying wireless around the house ....

so lets have some details - you have switched to talktalk and talktalkk have given you the data of changeover and confirmed that you have changed over the service to them.... you should have aletter with a date that the service will go live - thats upto midnight on that day

The follow the booklet instructions for setting up - they worked perfect on two system I set up

What status are the lights on the Huawei the DSL light will be on when it sees a DSL enabled phoneline and then the internet light will come on when the router has logged into your account - the routers are all preconfigured with your username and password already setup

Provide details of how everything is setup and connected , make and models information

post back the following details
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {ipconfig /all}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
    We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
    -> Start
    -> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all
    -> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
    control key + V to paste
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
    {Ping Tests}

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
    Ping google.com
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping {plus the number thats shown against the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all}
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
    post back results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Download and install
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    Then run the program
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

5. pamray12

pamray12 Thread Starter

Hi etaf

Thank you for taking the time to repond to my post. l appreciate it very much

l just came back on the boards to let everyone know problem solved.

l phoned TalkTalk back again and got onto their higher tech advisors and thanks to a very nice man on there the problem was solved after about half an hour.

l couldn't begin to explain the technical details of what we went through but we changed my username and password, connected the ethernet cable from the router to the laptop while he did something from his end and everything started working from there.

Thanks again

augusta

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    (y) thanks for letting us know
    you can mark the thread solved, by clicking on the mark solved button at the top of your first post

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920547

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice