Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Can't connect laptop to internet via ethernet cable (wireless is ok)

36K views 31 replies 2 participants last post by  ~Candy~ 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am having problem connecting my laptop to the internet via ethernet cable.

I am typing this from a Mac desktop that is on the same connection - no router in use, just a cable modem.

I have tried 3 different laptops plugging in to the ethernet cable directly to the modem and all say the same thing - limited to no connectivity for the XP machines, and "Local access only" for the Vista machine.

It recognizes the ethernet cable, and it searches for connectivity but does not succeed.

What makes this weird is that the connection itself is live as evidenced by my ability to type on this desktop.

Please help!!

#6 ·
There's part of the problem (and part of the reason for me wanting to fix this).

My wireless router gave out yesterday.

In order to configure the new one, I need a working hard-line connection...which I don't have.

I am connected via wireless right now, but it's just poaching a neighbor's unsecured signal. I don't suppose that will help, but I do know I won't be able to post that ipconfig screen reflecting a wireless connection to MY modem.

#9 ·
Go to the settings for the LAN adapter, and manually enter a gateway address, go ahead and use 192.168.0.1 to see if that will work. Also enter the subnet mask as I mentioned above. Then you may have to assign a static IP address to the computer. I would try 192.168.0.2.

If that doesn't work, we'll need to get the make/model of your modem and see if it has a default setup page.

#11 ·
Do you have a network icon in the lower right hand corner? If so, click that and open up network and sharing center. If not, go to control panel and find network and sharing center there. Then go to "manage network connections." Right click on the LAN adapter...properties....then internet protocol 4, and see what is there now.

#26 ·
1) Is there any logical explanation for why the MAC DESKTOP now doesnt work if I take this network cable and plug it back in to that?

2) If I take this computer to somewhere else and plug in (say, work...) do I have to change the LAN settings back to detect automatically? And then, if I do that, do I need to have written down this IP and subnet and gateway stuff for home so that I can do it right when I come back home?

3) I am moving in 3 weeks. Will I need to change this stuff then, and where can I find the info I need to put the right IP address in?

Thanks again for your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.