1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cant connect my desktop t laptop to share internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by steveg123, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steveg123

steveg123 Thread Starter

hello,
    i been using my laptop to surf and recently got a desktop but dont currently have a wireless network card installed so would like to connect the desktop to the laptop and access the net that way but im not sure what to do once i connected them both with network cable.

help much appreciated thanks.

2. DigitalMan589

DigitalMan589

Hello, I am sure that your desktop computer has a network interface card in it which will allow you to plug an Ethernet cable in. It will be located on the back of your computer and when you plug your Ethernet cable in a light should light up which indicates that it is working.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please describe your current network--including brand and model of modem, router, AP, etc.

4. steveg123

steveg123 Thread Starter

yes i do have a network connection on the mobo but my desktop case is a coolermaster cosmos which are huge and its upstairs and the router is downstairs,i would get an extra long network cable to run from router but my 8 month son has a fascination for wires so that is out the question to be honest.

i have a sky broadband 8meg conn,its a sagem router,not sure what model,its the greyish-black one that comes with subscription.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Running a cable or getting a wireless adapter would be better, but if you're determined to use Internet Connection Sharing or bridging connect the two PCs with an ethernet cable, which must be a cross-over cable unless at least one of the ports is auto-sensing (MDI/MDIX).

Configure any non-Windows firewall for the desired access. Bridge the wireless and ethernet connections on the laptop. You may have to Restart the client or repair the connection.

Instead of bridging you could enable ICS on the wireless connection.

6. steveg123

steveg123 Thread Starter

ok thanks,i got a crossover cable somewhere,ill have a look for that.appreciate the help

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice