1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't Connect Thunderbird with Gmail

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by panamahat, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Hi:

I had to change my password on Gmail and now no messages are coming through to Thunderbird. I went into My Accounts and changed the password. I tried changing from POP to IMAP. Nothing worked. I'd rather have POP but I have a feeling my settings are wrong. However, I can't find what they should be.

Hoping someone can help with this.

Many thanks,
    Jane

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3061 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 269748 MB, Free - 178674 MB; D: Total - 204551 MB, Free - 194284 MB; F: Total - 305242 MB, Free - 233892 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc.,
    Antivirus: ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5.2, Updated and Enabled

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    are you sure , the password has changed correctly - also is gmail settings set to POP
    and then when you go into settings - make sure you are selecting all the correct Ports for pop - setup manually

I have 3 gmail accounts setup as pop onto my thunderbird and change passwords regularly , so it should work OK

3. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Hi Etaf:

Yes, the PW is correct. Gmail settings are set to POP. What I can't find are the correct port numbers.

Jane

4. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Now I have another problem. Not sure if I should start a new thread or not. Just in case my account couldn't be set up with gmail,I decided to establish a new gmail account. after i did that, i went to thunderbird to configure it and found that thunderbird had deleted my main account! It's all completely gone. There are no files whatsoever. It's as though it never existed. Then I tried system restore and it won't work.
    Very upset over this.
    Jane

5. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

OMG. It just popped back up!! What on earth is going on???

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    not sure , unless you have switched the folder views

is it working now then?

7. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

well, the account is there but I still can't connect it to gmail. so no, my original problem remains. :(

jane

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you backed up the email at all - you may just want to backup thunderbird mail - just so you dont lose everything

i use http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/download.php
    also use it for transferring accounts to new PCs

heres my POP setting
    not SMTP
    just the POP

Attached Files:

9. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Many thanks, I'll do all this and see if I can get it to work. My external drive just went belly up so it's good to know another way to backup.

Jane

10. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Well, I tried it again and it was still rejected. This is the message I got:

Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Username and password not accepted.

Could you tell me what your setting is for incoming and outgoing mail?

Thanks,
    Jane

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    POP is incoming mail - the screen shot i posted
    SMTP is outgoing - see attached

the SMTP settings are further down in the settings menu

That has an issue with your username or password or the security options

post back a screen shot of your settings

heres the outgoing settings

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    1) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    OR
    2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Attached Files:

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i will remove the screen shots later- as they do have valid emails in

i have blacked out the email address -so where you see i have blacked out is just a valid email address

13. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

I've uploaded 5 files. Not sure if they cover all the settings. I have some more screenshots saved but honestly am confusing myself.

Jane

Attached Files:

14. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Etaf, I set up a new account with gmail and tried to hook it to Thunderbird and I'm getting the same problem. Even tho I select POP in gmail settings, Thunderbird shows it as imap. as soon as i change it back to pop, it rejects. Even if I keep it on IMAP, it rejects it. I also uninstalled T'bird and reinstalled. Same as before.

Jane

15. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Hi again, Etaf:

I sent you more information last night. Just wondering if it was helpful. I'm now getting a message "Incoming server already exists" when I try to set up my account again. I also created a new account at gmail and I have the same problem. T'bird ejects it.

Any more thoughts/suggestions?

Jane

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1075807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice