1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't connect to a specific web site

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by xseedman, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xseedman

xseedman Thread Starter

I have recently experienced a problem on one of my computers. There is a specific web site that I cannot access (www.vistaprint.com). I have a home network (Ethernet wired) and the other 2 computers on that network can access the site.
    On the computer where I have experienced the problem, I have both Firefox and IE8 installed. Neither browser can access the site. I get the following indications:
    Firefox – page opens that advises “Unable to connect” “Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at www.vistaprint.com”
    IE8 – page opens that displays “unable to connect”. When the diagnose connection problem button is clicked the message is “The remote device won’t accept the connection”.
    Since this occurs only on the one computer, I concluded that the problem was related to something on that computer, and since both browsers are unable to connect, it must not be specific to a browser. Specifics about that computer:
    Windows 7 pro without SP1 installed
    Microsoft Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials are only active security programs used.
    I have checked Internet Options in the Control Panel. Security settings are medium on all except Restricted Sites; Privacy is set at medium with popup blocker enabled; There are no parental controls used; Connections – LAN settings – automatically detect settings with no proxy server; Advanced settings are too numerous to mention at this time.
    Searches I do on problems similar to this advise checking settings in Internet Options.
    At this point I’m “stumped”. An answer or pointing in the direction to finding one would be appreciated.
    George

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Have you tried disabling all firewalls ?
    And can you ping the site successfully ?

3. xseedman

xseedman Thread Starter

The only firewall I know that I am using us Windows firewall, and disabling it does not make any difference.
    When I ping the web site by typing in its url, I get a reply from 127.0.0.1, which I don't believe is the IP address of the web site I'm trying to ping.
    When I ping on one of the computers where I can access the web site it returns an IP address of 89.149.169.150, which I would suspect is the correct address.

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

5. xseedman

xseedman Thread Starter

A little further research indicated that it probably was a host file issue.
    I found the host file on my computer and there was an entry vistaprint.com It was listed under a lot of entries inserted by Spybot - Search and Destroy, which I occasionally use to scan for malware.
    Am I correct is saying that I can edit the file by removing the vistaprint entry and save it and then the request will be directed to the DNS server that I am using (OpenDNS)?

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

That is my understanding.I would comment out the entry.

7. xseedman

xseedman Thread Starter

That did it!
    Consider this one "solved"
    Thanks for your help

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

Thanks for the feedback.Glad I could help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/983919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice