1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't connect to... anything!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Danjb, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Danjb

Danjb Thread Starter

Hey,

We have a system at home where we all connect to a router, which connects to a modem, which connects to the internet. We've just swapped one of our computers for an old one from a different house.

The problem is, this newly-installed computer can't seem to connect to anything - not the LAN, or the internet. It has one listed network connection ("Local Area Connection 3" - I have no idea why it has this name), which it says it can't connect to because "A network cable is unplugged." I've tried adding new network places, setting up a "home or small office network", creating a new connection, but nothing works.

I've done this sort of thing loads of times with all the other computers with no problems. All the cables are plugged in. I'm totally out of ideas.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

- Danjb

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do the ethernet LEDs light on the computer and router when you connect the cable?

Have you tried a known working cable and router LAN port to make sure neither is the cause of the problem?

Try Safe Mode with Networking.

3. Danjb

Danjb Thread Starter

I don't know if there's a light on the computer, but interestingly the light on the router didn't come on when I plugged in the cable connecting it to the computer. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the cable as it worked fine for the computer before this one. I've tried several router LAN ports and none of them have any effect. I think I also ended up trying a couple of different ports in the back of the computer.

I tried starting up in Safe Mode with Networking. I logged in as an administrator and tried the following:

• Network Connections -> New Connection -> Advanced Connection -> Accept Incoming Connections
      "Incoming connections depend on the Routing and Remote Access service which was unable to start. For more information, check the system event log."
    • Set up a small home or office connection
      Ignore disconnected hardware (Local Area Connection 3 ADMtek AN983 10/100 PCI Adapter - I can't delete this in "Network Connections")
      - This computer connects directly to the internet - "Cannot complete the Network Setup Wizard. Other computers cannot connect to the internet through the computer. In addition to its internet connection, this computer must have a connection to your network."
      - This computer connects to the internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network - Wizard finishes (after Computer Name, Network Name (interestingly our network name, MSHOME, was already in the box, but maybe it's the default?), File and Printer Sharing menus) but then nothing happens.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Look in Device Manager to make sure there are no warnings or errors.

But, while the ethernet LEDs lighting don't mean much, when they don't light you know there is a problem with the cable or one of the ports.

5. Danjb

Danjb Thread Starter

Well, thanks for all your help. Turns out it was something to do with the port - I plugged it into a different port in the back of the computer and it works. Thanks! :)

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) You can mark this Solved using the button at the upper left of the page.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice