Solved: Can't connect to internet after cleaning CoolWebSearch

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LANDROVER

Hi

My laptop was infected with CoolWebSearch About:Blank spyware, which I managed to finally clean off with help of Cheeseball81 in the TSG security forum. Based on HijackThis log and Ewido scan, it seems the computer is clean at last, but I can't connect to internet using IE or Firefox, and can't download email using outlook express. I have run WinsockxpFix and Ispfix, to no avail. When I try to connect to a website like www.google.com, in IE I get an error message saying "Can not find server'. Same happens in Firefox. When I try using Outlook Express, it says that there is no response from server (or something like that). I have no problem connecting to my service provider (dialup), but I just can't connect to email or internet.

Are there other settings which CWS may have tampered with or files which I deleted while getting rid of the malware which may be affecting my internet connectivity?? :confused:

This is kinda urgent, as I use the laptop for work.

Thanks in advance
Landrover

LANDROVER

Problem sorted.

It turns out that Aluria Security Centre (Spyware Eliminator) was the problem. Once I uninstalled that, things worked properly again.

Landrover

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online