1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't Connect to Internet after System Restore

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gatailgunner, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gatailgunner

gatailgunner Thread Starter

I have an HP 735n Desk PC running Win XP Home with SP 2. It reached a point of only starting under "Safe Start" so out of final desperation, I used (F10) System Recovery. The computer is starting AOK now and I have recaptured a lot of data by uninstall/install of programs where I'm told "Your Data Has Not Been Affected". However, when I reached the point of needing to reconnect to the internet VIA a wireless home LAN utilizing a D-Link DIR-615 (ver 3.21) Router with (1) computer connected thru a USB Adapter WUA-2340 (all working fine) I reinstalled a USB Adapter DWA-125 (ver A1) {Which had been working OK} and I get message "No Internet Connection Available" altho' all other indicators are "GO" The Device is working properly and net work indicators are all showing the D-Link USB Adapters on both my Compaq (with Win 7) and the HP (with XP) are working. I have worked on computers for years and never needed to do a System Recovery before and I have NEVER had any trouble getting on a network nor the internet before. After 3 full days of hair pulling frustration, all I can truthfully say is, "'I Want My Mommy!"" At least she would say, "Well bless your little heart" Can anyone out there do more??? REMEMBER, the HP W/XP CANNOT BE USED TO DOWN LOAD. It won't go on line! I can use my Compaq if we can make CD's, DVD's, or Flash Drive copies of anything needed for transport to the HP. HELP!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Install all the latest drivers from HP's web site, beginning with the chipset. Then reinstall the latest driver for your wireless adapter.

If still not working check Device Manager to make sure you have no more missing drivers and show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. gatailgunner

OK! I'll get on it tomorrow first thing. I think I understand that I need to do the driver down loads from my Compaq/win7 computer to a flash or CD?? Then install then to the HO/XP, right?

4. gatailgunner

Can't type with broken wing .... Meant HP/XP as second (faulty) computer,

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, copy from a computer with internet access to the problem computer with USB flash drive or other removable media.

6. gatailgunner

Terry ... Exactly how do I get the download from HP & MS to record to CD or Flash ? As we old AF types used to say " I have a little fog in the cockpit!" Will the down load let me choose where it is recorded or will it automatically install it on the win 7 PC?

7. gatailgunner

Terry ... I've always been told, "you don't need to know all the answers, just where to find them!" Well, at my age, I can't even remember where to find em' ..... especially since I don't use them but rarely if ever anymore! Your attention and help is GREATLY appreciated I assure you!

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Drivers are here. You can download to where ever you specify. I usually just download to the desktop and then copy or move the files to where I really want them.

9. gatailgunner

Terry -- Went to drivers and downloaded upwards of ten new downloads. Installed thru flash drive to XP PC. No change. Went to Start > Run > CMD > typed in: IPCONFIG/ALL > Enter > Rt Click > Chose "select all" > Enter. There I hit a snag! I get no way to copy nor cut & paste to any location (flash or CD). How do I get the screen info displayed to a portable media disk or flash?? (so I can post it here for you to see) I can't even get it into "My Documents"!!

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Usually it is recommended to copy the files to the hard drive and execute them from there. Just to confirm , you installed at least the chipset and then any networking driver and then the latest driver for your wireless adapter?

After 'Rt Click > Chose "select all" > Enter' the contents of the window are on the clipboard. Open Notepad (Start - All Programs - Accessories - Notepad) and you can simply paste into that window. Then save the text file to your removable media.

11. gatailgunner

Hi Terry! Been AWOL for the day .... can't find any ref to Chipset?? No listing under down loads for 735n nor elsewhere I can think of under HP web site. Any suggestions?? Only one networking D/L and I have installed it. There were a passel of Security Issues for D/L but I didn't think they were needed. Was I correct??

12. gatailgunner

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : workgroup
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-6E-17-74-51

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link DWA-125 Wireless 150 USB Adap
    ter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-01-07-44-CC
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.12.33
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yeah, kinda unusual to not see chipset drivers. Did you notice that one of the details for the BIOS update is "Resolves an issue that occurs with USB devices after the PC has restarted"? Don't know what that means, but you are using a USB wireless adapter.

Can you connect successfully by ethernet?

Can you connect successfully by wireless if you disable the encryption?

14. gatailgunner

Haven't tried ethernet since it's such a hassle to tote the computers from room to room, may have to try that tho' also, haven't tried removing encryption yet either.
    Noticed the note about USB devices and assume it means printers, fax, and such but I installed it anyway. Also installed the BIOS down load. I will connect the HP 735n directly to the internet (hard wired) tomorrow and see if that works. I am just a little bit gun shy about messing with my wireless network when it's working so perfectly, if you know what I mean. Also notices a thread on "This connection my offer no network connection or limited access" elsewhere on this web site and will check that out since I am now getting that yellow triangle with an (!) in it showing that message. You know, I'm beginning to think I have a pretty good boat anchor here! It not worth paying HP $65.00 an hour for their support when I can buy new for $300.00! I simply refuse to believe it's such a serious glitch that we can't somehow get it up again. Had a :) idea .... wonder what would happen if I replaced XP with Linux ????

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To simply check if a computer can successfully connect to a router by ethernet it can be less of a hassle to move the router to the computer's vicinity. Just connect them, plug in the router, and look at the ipconfig /all.

Maybe you can try the wireless adapter on another computer to see if the adapter is still good. Best to use the same operating system, as that also checks the driver.

If you replace XP with Linux you may find that the wireless adapter "just works," or that you need to use ndiswrapper and the XP driver, or that you cannot get it to work. Best to try with a Live CD before installing.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/984182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice