1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't connect to internet but Local Area Network is sending packets

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rjeatlantic, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rjeatlantic

rjeatlantic Thread Starter

I can't connect to the internet. When I double click Local Area Network under Network connections it says it has both sent and received packets. It is set to automatically acquire an ip address. The computer is connected to a router. I can ping 192.168.1.1 but when I try to reach my router's settings it says page can't be loaded. I tried to hook the computer up directly to the modem and connect that way. It said it was connected and it was sending packets but I still couldn't do anything. I've turned off the windows firewall. The computer is Windows XP SP1. Any ideas?

More info:

ip config /all
    netstat -n
    ping&tracert 192.168.1.1

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Download SP3, copy it to the hard drive of the XP SP1 computer, install it. Install latest chipset and ethernet drivers (from PC or motherboard manufacturer's site) and see if any better luck. If not, we can work on it with some more trouble shooting and fixes.

Don't be concerned about the caution on that SP3 page. It is a perfectly good and relatively quick way to bring XP up to the point where you can get the additional 100+ Windows updates needed. I just did it a few days ago with a fresh XP SP1 install on my Dell laptop.

EDIT: since your system is so many years out of date you would be well advised to begin, as I did, with a fresh install of XP.

3. rjeatlantic

I installed SP3 but I'm still encountering the same problem.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Could be a non-Windows firewall or security suite blocking your browser(s). What one do, or did you ever, have on the machine?

Also try ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

5. rjeatlantic

Disregard what I just said, it's working now. I installed SP3 and opened internet explorer. It said it couldn't connected and it prompted me to run a diagnostic tool which fixed the problem. Thanks a lot.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/986478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice