1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Can't connect to shares anymore

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pfizzle, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pfizzle

pfizzle Thread Starter

October 17, 2003
    Two computers on a simple crossover cable network. XP and Win98SE. The user name and password are the same on both computers to make things easier. Everything was working fine until I decided to no longer use simple file sharing on the XP Pro. Now when the 98 tries to access the XP folders I get a dialog box titled “Enter Network Password” You must supply a password to make this connection. Resource:\\XPBOX\IPC$ Password: The regular password doesn’t work. The network is working because I can access shares on the 98 from the XP. What settings am I missing. I have also shut off my firewall but that didn't help. What else can I try?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need to establish a share, other than the $ admin share. Right click on the resource you wish to share, and select Sharing. Click the New Share button and make a new share. Insure you give that share the proper rights, and all is well.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I see you've requested this be marked solved, can you tell us what you did so others who may have similar problems can learn as well ;)

4. pfizzle

pfizzle Thread Starter

It was because the password I originally was using only had three characters. Once I changed the passwords to six characters everything worked fine!

:D :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice