1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cant connect wirelessly... Maybe wireless card issue?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Arbor33, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arbor33

Arbor33 Thread Starter

Hello all,

I recently built a computer for the first time and everything went pretty smoothly. I currently have 2 partitions, one is Ubuntu (hardy) and Windows XP 64 bit. I installed the drivers for the wireless card in XP and I have an icon in the system tray with an X through the signal bars. When I double click on the icon in the system tray an interface comes up with buttons such as link info, configuration, advanced... etc. The only problem is when I click the buttons, nothing displays in the display area. I think it must be because its a 64 bit operating system but im unsure.

I tried to update the drivers via device manager but it says that the drivers are already up to par and what not. I cant set up a wireless connection through the control panel either but thats probably because everything else needs to be fixed first.

I can get Windows 98, 2000, Vista Business (64 and 32), XP (64 and 32), and a whole bunch of server OSs for free from school so Im currently downloading vista 32 bit to try out the card because I know its compatible and I will try a third partition to see what I can do.

The card is a Hiro H50169 Wireless G Network Adapter - 802.11g, 54Mbps, PCI I purchased from tigerdirect. Its running on an ASUS mobo and as far as I can tell its physically installed correctly.

Any guidance/help at all would be appreciated as I'm such a novice with all of this.
    Thanks!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Like you said, my betting would be the fact that it's a 64 bit version of Windows.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice