1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't connnect to internet via Wi-fi only works if i use cable!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Steveo46, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steveo46

Steveo46 Thread Starter

Before we begin you guys need to know I am not tech savvy. I know the basics about computer usage but that's about it. I am however savvy enough to follow whatever instructions you guys give me. I'm only 20 so I'm not that Tech stupid.

Anyway my computer just randomly stopped connecting to the intenet. I checked my other computers and phone and found they were all working fine. I was having internet problems pior to this happening (internet was being very slow and some web pages and some videos wouldn't load. I think the latter had to do with flash player though.) I had also been doing some stupid stuff on my comp that I know can give you viruses. Furthermore I also knew that due to previous virus's I was not able to do a restore. So as you have probably gathered my computer was pretty buggered even before this problem. So decided to restore to factory default using some backup images I made when I first got the comp. That went smoothly however the internet stilll doesn't work unless I plus it in using a ethernet cable.

I'm pretty worried because I see no solutions anywhere on the internet but I have read some people having the same problem and none of them seem to fix it :(

2. simsboy27

simsboy27

Hello,

I'm guessing you are probabily missing some drivers for your computer. Can you give us some computer specs? (Operating System, Model, Hardware Information, etc.) If you don't know this information please run Tech Support Guys SysInfo Utility at static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

Have a Nice Day!

3. Steveo46

Steveo46 Thread Starter

here it is
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 6055 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, -1260 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 244191 MB, Free - 203656 MB; D: Total - 340684 MB, Free - 340158 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc., K53SV
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

4. simsboy27

simsboy27

Thanks...

Could you also tell me your computer Manufacturer and the Model?

Click Start > Right-Click Computer > Properties
    Then under System it should list your manufacturer and model number.

5. Steveo46

Steveo46 Thread Starter

well I did what you said and it only told me it was an Asus (which I already knew) but on the bottom of my computer there is a sticker that says Model: A53S. is that what ya need?

6. simsboy27

simsboy27

Yep, thanks.
    Here's a possible solution...
    Go to... http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=K53SV and select your OS (Windows 7 64 Bit)
    Then Scroll down to Wireless, click to expand
    Try to install the first one (Atheros Wireless Lan Driver and Application)
    1: Click the Global button to download
    2: Download .zip file, extract
    3: Go in folder and click setup.exe and follow install instructions

Note: I've never had anything like this happen to me before, so there no guarantee it will work. You may have to install more than one of those Wireless drivers if not all of them.

7. Steveo46

Steveo46 Thread Starter

well there is no setup.exe file. there are only two exe files and they are PNPINST.exe and PNPINST64.exe. I tried running them both and it said reading hardware ID from INI file has failed.

8. simsboy27

simsboy27

Alright, try this.
    1. Download this one from the Global button... (Same Site)
    Description Intel(R) WiFi Wireless LAN Driver
    File Size
    49,95 (MBytes) 2011.01.19 update
    Download from
    Global (DLM) Global P2P
    2. Unzip the Folder
    3. Go in the Install folder and run Intel PROSet Wireless.msi
    Let me know what happens.

9. Steveo46

Steveo46 Thread Starter

it says a newer product version has already been installed

10. simsboy27

simsboy27

Alright. I tried everything I thought would work, it seems like you have all the drivers you would need... Possibly try the following links to update Windows 7 drivers and to improve WiFi. I honestly have nothing else that I could think of to fix this issue. I will be keeping an eye on this thread in hopes that someone else has a solution to this issue.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx#fbid=bzFqi6eMbmW
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Sorry and Good Luck.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice