1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't copy image of NG12 from my HD to external drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by morland, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. morland

morland Thread Starter

Hi (again)

In case you have read my other post(s), I am trying to sort out multiple problems (one related to Windows 7 and one related to XP).

Okay this problem is with my laptop running XP SP3 (32-bit). Just before I take the big step (of doing a fresh install) I made a image on the D:\ partition with Norton Ghost 12. All went well. Now just in case murphy strikes, I tried to copy the image folder (created by NG12) to my external USB drive. However I keep getting error message that there is no space available. In reality the size of the image file is about 14 GB whereas I have more than 150GB available on my external usb drive. I even tried to change the attributes using a freeware called Attribute changer but am still getting the error. Is there any way to copy the image folder (which contains 2 files); norton ghost 12 users would know about this.

Thanks

2. moper

moper

Is the drive formatted as Fat32?
    If so, the maximum file size would be 4GB.

moper

3. morland

morland Thread Starter

Thanks moper. So what I can then do is to use WinRAR and make smaller splits (each less then the fat32 limit) and then be able to copy without having to convert the file system of of external HD (which is in FAT32). The reason I do not want to risk anything on the external HD is that it contains all my data and stuff and also has a built-in software and the auto-run thing which I may (not sure though) loose if I try to convert it from FAT32 to NTFS.

4. moper

moper

Ghost should have the option to split, as the image is being created.

The more splits, the more room for errors.

Maybe get a second drive and format NTFS.

moper

5. morland

morland Thread Starter

Actually till now I never used the built-in split feature of Norton Ghost. Learned my lesson and am always going to use that :) Thank you for your time.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!