1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't delete an empty folder off desktop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by awkwardlypeachy, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. awkwardlypeachy

awkwardlypeachy Thread Starter

I just installed a dock on my computer. Whenever I do this I usually just put the shortcuts in the dock and delete the shortcuts on my desktop. When I tried doing this all but 1 shortcut got deleted. This shortcut is a now empty folder with no name (because I did the whole alt 255 thing). I thought that maybe by deleting all the files, the folder would be free to delete, but that is not the case.

I do not get any error messages when I try to delete the folder, it's like I just didn't do anything at all; same thing happens when I try to rename the folder. I have literally tried EVERYTHING, it takes a while for me to resort to posting in a forum when I know the answer to most computer problems has already been answered elsewhere.

I have tried Cut - end explorer.exe process, Running explorer.exe again, that didn't work. I have tried downloading DelinvFile (or something) that didn't work either. I tried downloading CantDeleteFile, gave me the prompt "thanks for using bla bla" but the folder was still there. Tried going to my registry see if its there, I THINK it is but when I try to delete that registry key is says "Error while deleting key" (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{ED228FDF-9EA8-4870-83b1-96b02CFE0D52} is the one I'm trying to delete) has a "Removal Message" below (Default). When I open an Explorer window, the nameless folder comes up on the list to the left, right below the Recycle Bin (see attached desktop picture). I have also tried Cutting and Pasting into the Recycle Bin, but the folder just becomes solid once again (because it goes see through when I "Cut"). I have also run chkdsk, tried deleting and again nothing happened.

I really don't know what else to do. I have ran all kinds of command prompts trying to find whats wrong. Whenever I type my problem into Google, people say that they get error msgs when they try deleting. I have never gotten any and I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing.

Regsearch.txt (attached) is what comes up when I go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop\NameSpace". Idk if its useful or not, but I really want to get rid of this empty folder. This has never happened to me before so I hope you guys can help.

Thank You.

PS: I run Windows Vista SP2 32bit

Attached Files:

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try Unlocker.

If no luck,

Have you tried deleting the folder from command line?

Click Start > Programs > Accessories > right-click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Type: RD /S /Q "Full Path of Folder"

3. awkwardlypeachy

awkwardlypeachy Thread Starter

Wow! I thought it would definietely NOT WORK just because I've tried so many things, but Unlocker actually deleted the damned folder! My desktop now looks clean :) Thank you so much! Now I just need to see if it doesn't come back after I restart.

Again, thanks!

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You're welcome!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice