1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't delete CD-RW discs error "read only files""

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Toti, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

Hi guys !!

Before hand pls. forgive my english not my first language, I'll try my best :) and thank you for any help and pls. forgive my ignorance at this respect :eek:

Ok my trouble is this, I tried to Add information to a CD-RW rewritable disc memorex 650MB-74 mins.
    But it says its was full, well I try to right click on it and delete the file, but it didn't let me a error message appeared saying:

"Cannot delete the Files on this CD are read only. You can still copy new files to this writable CD, wich will replace files already on the disc "

Well so .... I try to do that "again" But NO GO !!! :mad:
    I tried and it display a message saying that the discs is full :confused: again .

The capacity of the rewritable disc is of 650 MB, the new file to add it's about 200 MB and the existent file on disc is just 2.69 !!! :confused: so...? is not full at the capacity of the disc.
    It says to insert a writable discs as well !! :confused:

Ok ...well ...so I tried to delete the file with a 3rth party app.

So I try to use NERO to delete the rewritable disc....
    I place the disc.... select delete a cd/dvd rw disc.... then option of quick delete or full delete appears.... but, NERO doesn't even recognize it as a rewritable disc !!!

What do I'm missing here ?
    Is there an application that can DELETE the data "files and folders" from a Rewritable disc?

same thing with Ashampoo ... cant delete the rewritable disc :(

I already tried this applications that claimed they can delete a Re-writable disc.
    Asshampoo.......No go
    Nero.................No go

Microsoft says something about individual packets and try to reformat the disc or delete the complete disc !!

But how can I delete the disc if it says that the files are "read only" and cannot be delete it and if it don't even recognize it's a rewritable disc?? !!:confused:

Pls. guys can you Help me :eek:
    I don't have $$ to buy more discs now, so I need to reuse this ones I have at hand.

I will appreciate any help and for pointing me at the right direction , I'm just confused now with this , :confused:

Toti
    :(

2. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

HI guys !!

An update..... I think it's another issue I'm having here :eek:

I decide to perform a test in the computer of my roommate, she has as me NERO 7. So.... I place the Rewritable disc on the tray ....open NERO7 and went to the Tab of EXTRAS then select Erase CD , it open a window saying "Erase Rewritable Disc, the window of Choose recorded is highlighted and then I selected the option of " Full-erase rewritable disc" and it worked !!! :eek:

So there's is something else in my computer is not working OK !! what could it be :confused:
    I noticed that when I place the disc on her DVDRAM the Box in the NERO option "Choose recorder was HIGHLIGHTED !!
    But not in mine, Not even if the disc is in the tray of the DVDRAM !!

One other thing when I right click on the device removable Storage
    CD Drive (D:) select properties in General Tab, her Drive D appears as File System RAW.
    And in mine is like UNKNOWN !!

Could this be the culprit that NERO and Ashampoo not identifying the Drive D or discs to be deleted ?

Thansk guys
    Toti
    :confused:

3. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

Ok..... guys another Update.

I saw that my POWER ISO has in Tools TAB an option called "Erase Rewritable Disc"..

So I decide to try this method via POWER ISO, to try to identified more accurate wheres the problem, well .... I place the rewritable disc on the tray DVDRAM and Selected the option under tools "Erase Rewritable Disc" .

The window appeared to select Burning drive (it's highlighted ) Erasing speed (maximum) erasing Method * Full Erase" and selected Quick erase as well .
    I Press Erase (tab)......it Detects Media CD-ROM- starts but... then after 3 secs. STOPS! and display --------- "CD-ROM media can not be erased " -------------

Is there's something wrong with my DVDRAM ? could be the driver of it ? Because I can Burn files Ok and read Ok CD'S and DVD's, but cannot delete files from; Drive D in a CD-RW rewritable disc.

Thasnk for Help guys
    Toti
    pretty confused girl now :(

------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE

I been looking around the Internet for a FIX, and what is the cause of the problem and how to solve it , but :( so far No Luck .

I already read that is not my Driver of my DVDRAM, No need to Fix that, because I can still burn Discs, The Problem is when it don't recognize the Drive D - DVDRAM in Nero and Ashampoo
    I can't find something like my experience with the NERO, Ashampoo and POWER ISO applications that they cannot delete a CD-RW disc.

Sorry guys my eyes are closing zzzzzz I cya all tomorrow morning.
    nite.

Help.
    Toti

4. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

I'm going to uninstal the applications Nero and Ashampoo and Power ISO and see if that fix my trouble but.... I,m not pretty sure if that will do it .

Toti

5. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

OK guys well...Didn't work :(

I did uninstalled the 3 apps. NERO Ashampoo and POWER ISO, then reinstalled NERO and install INCD from NERO tried to delete the rewritable but it don't even recognize that I have a rewritable in the D drive !! :eek:

I Install Ashampoo try to delete the rewritable but same thing it says that I don't have a rewritable disc in D drive , when in fact is in there !!

Try with POWER ISO but same thing , when I press delete rewritable it says that I dont have a rewritable disc in D Drive !! :confused:

what wrong with my DVD RAM ?

-===================================

When I try to go to MY COMPUTER right click in the D: drive where my rewritable disc is, then go to Properties / InCD / I press ERASE then the window of InCD appears I select FULL erase, but..... in PROGRESS not showing nothing and a NOTE below saying that:
    No rewritable disc in drive :confused:

my DVDRAM is this model
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B

I really don't know what could it be :( pls. Help guys.

Toti

6. hulkinator

hulkinator

See if you can find a firmware update for your drive. Firmware is the instructions that reside on the device itself, whereas drivers are used by Windows.

Also perhaps try safe mode to see if it works then?

On a side note your English is just fine!

7. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

HI hulkinator thnsk for answering me very kind frmo you :).

Yes I already went a download the update of the firmware for the LG GSA-4167B .
    But still Is not recognizing that i have a rewritable disc in it, when I try to delete the rewritable disc with InCD of NERO or Ashampoo or POWER ISO :( I just don't know what to do .

I'm going to try to do it in Safe mode

any other idea why is not identifying my rewritable disc when I try to delete it with this apps.
    I try uninstall and reinstall all this apps. even when I don't use this ones and used just windows it says that is a read only file and I need to use a 3rd party app., because Windows XP cant read individual packets so......
    I use this 3rd hand softwares but then I have this problem where it don't recognize I have a rewritable disc in D: drive !! So I cant neither ERASE or REFORMAT the rewritable disc. because it says and don't have any disc in the D drive ?!!

Im stuck and very confused?

8. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

HI well...I try in safe mode but same thing.... it says I don't have a rewritable disc in D drive !! So it cant erase the disc.

I just don't understand I have a rewritable disc and I place it in the tray, then press delete and it comes with this message that the "disc cannot be delete because is not a rewritable disc " ??!! :mad:

ok.... this is what I already tried ( in this beautiful day "outside" ) :rolleyes:.

I try uninstalling the apps. then installing them again ...... results..... can't erase disc
    I try updating my firmware from LG-GSA-4167B results................... can't erase disc.
    I try in SAFE MODE .......results.................................................... can't erase disc.
    I try with InCD from Nero-results ...Don't identify is a rewritable disc....cant delete disc.
    I try with Ashampoo - results ...Dont' identify is a rewritable disc..and can't delete disc.
    I try POWER ISO -results.... Don't find any rewritable disc in D:drive..can't delete disc.

GRRRRRRRrrrrrr !! :mad:

What am I missing here? !! :confused:

Pls HELP guys

Toti

9. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

Any Ideas ?

someone.................... :( help pls.

Toti

10. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

An update...
    I download a n application called SuperBlank.

Install it and ran it.....and guess what ?....... Nothing "Nada" it cannot clear, erase or blank my rewritable discs , I press Blank and nothing happens, the application don't run.
    when i press Blank the number 1 in the box got highlighted in RED for a sec. then back to normal and that's it...... nothing happens, no advance or signal of erasing or blanking the rewritable disc :(

So.. what else can I try to do to fix this !??

I really trying to find a fix for this, but I don't know what else to do or where to look :(

Toti

11. hulkinator

hulkinator

If there is no piece of software that seems to be doing the job... it's probably a hardware issue. Do you have another computer you can put the drive in to see if it works then?

12. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

HI well .... there's one more computer in the house but .....that one is my roommates computer and I don't think shes willing to let me open her computer to place my DVDrom. :( , and I not that savy enough to do that.

Is there a software to test if my DVD if it's working as it should?

With out opening the case and testing it out ?

If not any well...... i'm gonna have to look for a volunteer :p
    any other Options and why does my DVD is doing this ??
    ---------------------------

The Thing is that when I click on Properties it says that my Device type DVD/CD-ROM brand HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B is working properly !!!

And in fact PART of that it's TRUTH because it can ( Read, Write, Record, Burn and reproduce dvd's , cd's and cd-rw 's) but ....It can't delete CD-RW rewritable discs !!

So there's something in my computer or the way is set that don't let me DOIT !!
    But I just don't kow , when I open InCD from NERO I have and Icon of a DVD drive witha RED Interrrogation symbol !!!

Let me describe what i see.

I click Start/ my computer / right click on my D drive / Properties / then I select InCD tab / the window opens on the top the Icon with a drive with a Red symbol of interrogation and my names dvd HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B

Under Device capabilities
    the Box of recorder is check
    the Box of Mount Rainer (MRW) read only it's check
    the Box of DRT-DM it's uncheck

Under Disc status.
    Disc type: it says CD-ROM
    File System Not available "and its Grey out " .
    the Box"Disc present" it's check............the Box"Rewritable " unchecked
    the Box"Blank" unchecked....................the Box"MountRainier(MRW)" unchecked
    the Box"Write-protected" unchecked......the Box"Auto-formattable "unchecked

And it don't let me change the properties of any box.

Any Ideas ??

Any Fix ?

thnksk
    Toti

13. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

One more thing Is that when I open NERO 7 then I choose under Extras the Erase CD Option then the window appears of the Erase Rewritable Disc ;

Choose recorder:
    D: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA4167B (ID:0 HA:1)

Select the erase method to be used:
    I select or Full or Quick

But the Option of " Erase " it's greyout !!! :p

So.... what I'm missing here ? I been trying to Google this about.... but unfortunately I haven't had luck :(

Is this a conflict with the InCD or direct cd of windowsXP and Nero7 ? why is not recognizing the cd rewritable discs at the time I want to erase them !?

maybe is something easy and I just don't know where to unchecked or click, my roommate and I have the same version of nero, but in her computer she can erase the rewritable discs. snif snif

HELP GUYS !!

14. spiff44

spiff44

If you haven't already, I would try different media. Different brand, one with different color dye, ect.

15. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

Thanks spiff44 , Done that but still cant erase them.

My DVD don't recognize them as rewritables when I wan to erase them :(

mmm what a challenge !!

any other ideas guys ?

So......

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!