1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't delete folders that have problem files therein

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by redoak, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

I have tried to use several software programs after Ws "Delete" failed. None of the 3rd party programs would remove a folder, only files.

In some cases the file name is too long. Others the path is either too long or invalid.

Very frustrating! TSG is my last resort.

{redoak} :mad:

2. valis

valis Moderator

3. redoak

Yes, but nothing happened so far as I know. Maybe I became impatient? I waited many minutes for a reply with nothing coming up.

Thanks for the response.

{redoak}

4. valis

valis Moderator

can you post a screenshot of what unlocker said? A few times it will try to clean it on reboot, but it will generally tell you that it needs to do such.

5. redoak

Unlocker has "said" nothing. I have seen the need to reboot message other times.

I am trying to delete a folder on an XHDD. I see the activity light blinking erratically- some single spaced blinks and some blinks in rapid succession. No particular sequence, however.

{redoak}

6. valis

valis Moderator

have you tried through dos?

7. redoak

I know very little to nothing re 'dos'. Are there instructions re this particular use of 'dos'?

8. valis

valis Moderator

Indeed. If the file you wish to delete was on the external drive G, for example, you would start > run > cmd > g: > enter > del g:\wherever\this\file\resides.

If you get the gist. :) The '\' denote a directory change.

9. redoak

My XHDD is 'H'. When I entered "del h:" I was asked to enter Yes or No. Obviously, I said no at this time.

Regret taking so much of your time. I am very appreciative.

{redoak}

10. valis

valis Moderator

Yeah, you don't want to delete the entire 'h' drive. What you want to do is delete the file on the h drive. Ideally what you would do would be to navigate to that directory; let's say it's a file called my-pic.jpg, in a folder called misc, which is in a folder called pics, which is on the h drive. You would do the following:

h: (every carriage return here means hit 'enter')
    you will then be looking at h:\>

h:\> cd pics

it will then look like the below:

h:\pics>

type cd misc, it should look like the below now:

h:\pics\misc>

Now you are in the directory with the file named my-pic.jpg, do THERE is where you type del.

h:\pics\misc>del my-pic.jpg

All that aside, it may just be easier to figure out why you can't delete this particular file. Is it protected? What error precisely are you getting?

thanks,

v

11. redoak

Valis: Some how a few of our back and forth replies have been dropped from the Thread. However, that makes no impact on me, since I became totally frustrated trying to use DOS. No fault of yours!

What I did was go into Safe Mode and tried to delete the master folder, since I had already marked it "DON"T USE", after I recreated the files to be backed up on 'H' that did not include those in the bad folder. I just wanted to see if it could be done in Safe Mode.

I almost succeed. A glitch occurred very near the end of the deletion. I have attached a screen shot that both shows how far the deletion went and the error message that came with the abrupt halt. What can be done to overcome the troublemaker?!

{redoak}

Attached Files:

12. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You might need to run a chkdsk.

13. redoak

"P- - - ": Thanks for the reply and the link. [I didn't realize "chkdsk" could be run on an XHDD. "Live and learn."] I'll run "chkdsk" when I finish my daily browser routine.

{redoak}

14. redoak

I ran "chkdsk" as suggested. The report said "OK." I then reran in "Safe Mode" trying to delete the folder. The process didn't run more than a coupe seconds when a new error message came up. I have seen this error message before when I tried to delete the folder in normal fashion.

Why did the delete process stop so quickly this time? Perhaps my question is unanswerable, what with computers having a "mind of their own."

See attachment.

[redoak}

Attached Files:

15. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!