1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: can't delete fonts; font manager?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by carolsm, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carolsm

carolsm Thread Starter

My Windows font folder has too many fonts; makes font lists in apps too long and hard to deal with. I want to remove a whole bunch of them that I don't use, but when I try to delete an open type or type 1 font, I get the message:

"Cannot delete ACaslonPro-Bold: Access is denied.
    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

I generally can delete True Type fonts, but often it then just subs in an open type font of the same name, which I can't delete. Also, I'm not trying to delete the ones Windows wants to have (arial, all the MS ones, etc.). I am the administrator. It behaves the same trying to go through control panel -> fonts or c:\windows\fonts.

Any ideas on how I can get a deletion to happen? Microsoft's help site on this just says "select" and "click uninstall", which should be all there is to it, but isn't.

Also, any recommendations for a font manager (prefer free, but if I have to pay, I'd like to keep it under $25) that would allow me to activate and inactivate fonts as needed? I fondly remember the old Mac days when I could put fonts in suitcases and do this...

2. fel1x

fel1x

3. Rockn

Rockn

Not logged on as an admin. You need to be logged on as local admin to delete fonts.

4. carolsm

carolsm Thread Starter

I am logged on as admin.
    Thanks for the font management suggestions, I will look those over.
    Otherwise, I give up...I will just wade through my fonts.

5. katokato

katokato

you need to use unlocker.
    font managers work also.
    you can also boot in safe mode
    you can also boot in linux cd and explore your c drive and delete from there.
    you can do a plethora of other things.

imo you wont find much of a difference. all these startup tweaks are for super enthusiasts(like i once was, downgraded to xp, lazy to redo tweaks) to squeeze the living daylights out of their computers to get the most performance even if it means subtracting 1 ms from startup.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice