1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Can't delete user account on XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by violator, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. violator

violator Thread Starter

I'm trying to get rid of a user account that is no longer being used on my computer, but every time I try to delete it, the screen freezes up, and stops responding. I'm using my account to delete it, and I am the administrator on this system. Anyone have any suggestions or help? I'm using the way provided by Windows...start/settings/control panel/user accounts... but it's not working. Is there another way to do this?

Thanks

Vio

2. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

Try making showing the administrator account (administrator) and use it to make the changes. You can do this by downloading Tweak UI, which is part of the Windows XP powertoys package

3. mobo

mobo

Or try it from safe mode..

4. violator

violator Thread Starter

I tried that Tweak deal, but it doesn't allow me to delete the files, but rather just stop the users name from showing up on the log in screen. I'd prefer to delete them all together instead of just hiding them. As for the safe mode suggestion...Huh?

5. mobo

mobo

Reboot and start tapping the f8 keyuntil a black screen with white lettering appears. Select safe mode, log in as administrator and not under any user accounts then try deleting the account of your choice.

6. violator

violator Thread Starter

Alright, try this one on for size...

I did as you suggested, but when i pressed F8, I got a screen asking which operating system that I wanted to launch, but nothing about safe mode or anything else. I chose XP, (as it was the only choice), and it went ahead and loaded normally. No safe mode to be found.

7. mobo

mobo

reboot and press and hold the ctrl key

8. violator

violator Thread Starter

Strike that last reply of mine off the record. I tried it again, and realised that reading the screen actually pays off. I had to press another key, and then it allowed me to start up in safe mode, and then it allowed me to get rid of the profile. I guess that I was just too fed up to have any patience with my computer. Everything is rocking now, and you have my sincerest gratitude for your help. THANK-YOU THANK-YOU THANK-YOU THANK-YOU!!!!!

9. mobo

mobo

You're welcome now please click on the report button and ask to mark this thread as solved

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!