1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cant detect sata drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fcolgan, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fcolgan

fcolgan Thread Starter

:confused: 2 weeks ago I had a problem because my machine could not detect the DVD drive and the CD drive. I unattached the cables and reattached the cables and now they always show up...but NOW my WD1600 SATA hard drive is no longer detected by anything: CMOS, explorer, boot up sequence screen, or Device Manager.
    I dont know what happened to it. I have unattached and reattached the cable several times, nothing happens.
    I dont see any yellow question marks in the device manager, I just dont see my drive.
    This is what i see: Disk drives:
    IC USB storage-CFC USB device
    Maxtor One Touch IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device
    WDC WD2000JB-00GVA0 (this is my boot up drive)

I had reformated the SATA some weeks ago and mostly it is filled with storage items but I am frustrated and awed at the disappearance of the 1600 drive. It is the newer of the two hard drives and was working fine until it disappeared.

Thank you for any help that you can give.

Florene Colgan
    [

2. hulkinator

hulkinator

Perhaps you have another computer you can try plugging the drive into? Then we would know if your issue is related to the drive itself or just the machine it's connected to.

Also I'd suggest editing your post to remove your email address- these forums can be read by the public as well as crawlers that would be more than willing to fill your inbox with spam.

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You are checking both ends of the SATA cable, as well as the power connection?
    Do you have another cable to test with?
    If not, you can use the one from the boot drive and enter the BIOS to see if it's now seen.

4. fcolgan

fcolgan Thread Starter

I cant use the one from the boot drive because it does not use a SATA cable. i plan on purchasing another cable tomorrow and plugging it in to see if that works. thanks.

5. fcolgan

fcolgan Thread Starter

thanks to those that answered my request. I have found that the HD is good, and the cable is good, so i am going to buy a usb Sata docking station and therefore use this drive as a external HD storage unit.

Fcolgan

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/831457

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice