Solved: Can't display full-screen on 16 x 9 TV

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

overbydt

I'm trying to use a Vizio M550SL as a monitor for training purposes, hooked up via VGA to my Dell Optiplex 780. For the life of me, I can't get the picture to display full-screen. The PC only sees it as a generic monitor with limited resolutions, none of them formatted to 16 X 9. I tried using a driver for another monitor, hoping I could trick the PC into thinking it was widescreen, but no dice. Any suggestions?

cwwozniak

Chuck
Does the display properties control panel have an advanced settings tab that lets you see all of the video modes supported by the video adapter; not just the ones that the system thinks may be supported by a generic monitor?

Have you checked the Dell web site to see if there are any updated drivers for your computer?

overbydt

Yes, there's an advanced tab, but none of the options displayed are 16 x 9 format. I will check for a Dell update and report back. Thanks for your response.

managed

Allan
There are several versions of that PC, can you tell us the service tag ? It could be on the side and/or the back of the case. Failing that what graphics card is shown in Device Manager ?

overbydt

I was able to find an Intel driver on Dell's site that was just updated in the past couple of weeks. That fixed the problem. Thanks for your help, guys!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online