1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't Do a System Restore

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by axe360, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. axe360

axe360 Thread Starter

All the sudden I can't do a system restore.. I do use Norton and did turn off the Product Tamper Protection, but still nothing..

No error message, just say's cannot do system restore.. Thanks for any help..

WinXP Home..

2. tiger4020

tiger4020

did you save any system restore point??

3. axe360

axe360 Thread Starter

Yes, I can go back about 3 to 4 weeks, but none work either..

4. tiger4020

tiger4020

well sometimes they get corru[t as such.. i have faced that problem couple of times... but why you want to do a system restore.. cant the problem be fixed without a system restore??

5. axe360

axe360 Thread Starter

Yes, you see I was having some problems with tiger woods course architect, I design courses and hadnt used it for a few months until today, but I'm having some problems and figured I would try a system restore, but to my amazement, I can't do one.. Now I have to know why and I have to fix it, or it will bother me to no end. You know how it is, when something isn't working right, you just have to fix it... Thanks for the quik replies..

6. tiger4020

tiger4020

No problem.... well ... try the F8 on starup and try the restore option from there... might work..... it did some times for me...

7. tiger4020

tiger4020

did you try doing defragmentation....??? give it a shot...

8. axe360

axe360 Thread Starter

Will give it a try, thanks m8..

9. axe360

axe360 Thread Starter

Nope, still no luck...

10. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

what is the reason for wanting to do a System Restore, is your machine having issues and you are hoping to resolve them by rolling back? or is the machine working OK, virus free and you are using SR as a way to revert back to a previous state after installing some software you no longer want.?

If the system is running OK and you dont absolutely 'need' to Restore to an earlier time then purge your System Restore points by turning SR off and back on again. This will more than likely fix your issue with SR not working.

11. axe360

axe360 Thread Starter

Thanks Jack, that sounds like a good idea.. Appreciate the help from you and Tiger...

12. tiger4020

tiger4020

Did it work??

13. axe360

axe360 Thread Starter

That's funny, I was just about to hit system restore to check it and I got your message.. lol
    I turned system restore off then back on and will let ya know in a sec.. Thank ya kindly

14. axe360

axe360 Thread Starter

Ohhhh Yeahhhhh!!!!! Worked like a charm...Thanks Jack and Tiger for your quick help, appreciate it big time..
    Merry Christmas all..

P.S. This fix should get pinned...

15. tiger4020

tiger4020

Great have a nice christmas...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!