1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Can't download Flash Player

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by moonifa, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moonifa

moonifa Thread Starter

I have a relatively new PC (couple of moths old) And right after we first got it I uninstalled Flash Player.

Now my son needs this program to acess HarryPotter.com and other kid friendly sites with games. When I try to download the flash player it acts like it is doing it and acts like it installed it but then can't find the program. I have even done a search of the PC and it simply isn't there.

I have also gone into Internet Explorer settings to see if something there was preventing a successful download but found nothing.

My Pc is a Dell with WinXP.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

2. wanabe_buck

wanabe_buck Guest

does it show in add remove/programs...is that where you uninstalled it from originaly

after you download can you find where it downloaded too

when you try to view a flash file dos it give you an eror message

buck

3. moonifa

moonifa Thread Starter

Hello! Didn't expect such a quick response. Thank You!

The flash player does not show in the Add/Remove programs listing as I had thought to try and uninstall a possibly corrupted version before doing a fresh download.

Just now I idid a fresh download from the troubleshooting section of flash player web site. It downloaded and prompted for install. It looked as though it installed, but is nowhere to be found.

When I do a search on the PC it doesn't show up anywhere.

I have also gone into internet options and made sure that all options are enabled for active x controls (a little scary quite frankly).

Any ideas? Thanks! Moonifa

4. moonifa

moonifa Thread Starter

Oops! Forgot to tell you that the only site I have tried to access after "downloading" was harrypotter.com ,
    and it just keeps looping me back to that page to download flash player.

It absolutely will not allow access to the rest of the site.

Is there another site I should try to see if access is granted? Could the problem be with harrypotter.com instead?

5. wanabe_buck

wanabe_buck Guest

6. mamabear

mamabear

Don't know if this is relevant or not but...
    I was having the same problem a while back (I even posted here about it). It turned out that I had "flash killer" enabled in Spywareblaster and had forgotten about it. I disabled it and I could download flash. In another forum recently another guy was having the same problem. He didn't have Spywareblaster on his computer (I'm unclear as to whether or not he ever had it or not). He installed Spywareblaster, enabled flash killer, disabled flash killer, uninstalled Spywareblaster and he was OK. According to one of the replies to his question, someone had read somewhere that if you ever "killed" flash, it stayed "killed" until you re-enabled it even after you uninstalled the program you killed it with. I know it sounds weird, but it worked for this person.

7. moonifa

moonifa Thread Starter

Wow! I DO have spywareblaster! I will go now to see if that is the problem! Thanks for the idea! Moonifa

8. moonifa

moonifa Thread Starter

Wow! Thank you guys so much for all your help.

Wanabe Buck I went to the link you provided on Flash Player, and I had not found that test site when I was there. I redownloaded it but again it didnt appear anywhere. But I deeply appreciated the link and may need it in the future! Thank you.

Then when I read Mamabear's post, it clicked that I had recently downloaded spywareblaster but hadn't paid much attention to it. Sure enough flash killer was enabled!!! As soon as I enabled flash it worked beautifully!

Thank you so very much for all your help and your time spent on my behalf. I hope one day I can return the favor. Moonifa

9. mamabear

mamabear

You're welcome for my little part in this. I understand how FRUSTRATED you were. When it happened to me, I literally spent several days trying different things and nothing worked. I'm glad you got it sorted out.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice