[Solved] Can't download

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hodi

When I try to download something, it starts the download, but about the time the the little "bar" is full, it quits and shows me a picture of a broken piece of film. No explanations or anything, just quits.

Sure could use some help here-----------Thanks!

Hodi :)

Bryan

Bryan
This was posted by WhitPhil, from another old post from Mosiac, for another situation with downloading problems. But it's been used successfully by others that have had download problems associated with Quicktime. My guess is you could be another victim of Quicktime "taking over" the downloading function in IE. If that's the case, this should fix the download problem.

Try this and see what happens.

Start>Run, key in Regedit and press enter.

Double left click on each of these in the Left Pane.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Plugins

Now in the Left pane you should see a subkey named "Extension" that's listed "within" and underneath the "Plugins" key in the Left side of the screen. Right click on it and select Delete. Now close Regedit.

Restart Windows and then try downloading with IE.

If your not sure of the key to delete, see the screen print I attached below.

BTW, please be careful and see the attached file so your sure you delete the correct one. You'll see another key called "Extensions", plural with an "s", that's not "within" and underneath the "Plugin" key. You don't want to delete that one.

Attachments

Hodi

Thanks for your quick reply, Rollin' Rog------and Bryan :)

I was working on what you had suggested, Rollin' Rog, when Bryan's reply came in, so gave it a try and it worked!!!!!

Went straight to the page I was trying to download and it worked beautifully.

Didn't fix my other problem, though. I am still unable to access secure websites. I can bring up the web page, (Sprint, my bank, etc.,) but when I try to login, I get "Page Cannot be Displayed".

I've emptied temporary files, deleted cookies, repaired MSIE, reinstalled AOL adapter, set all security levels back to default, checked the encryption (128) and even signed on to another ISP, to see if AOL was the problem, but nothing has helped.

Perhaps you guys might have some other ideas I can try-----would sure appreciate it!

Thanks------Hodi

Glad to hear that Hodi; the problem you described evidently has a number of different manifestations relating to Quicktime. Bryan's resolution was the one I was thinking of when I mentioned the registry edit.

I posted another link to your "page cannot be displayed" thread. It sounds like it has something to do with security settings, but there may be more to it.

Hodi

Thanks for the info, Rollin' Rog-----

I went to the Microsoft page you posted for me and all my settings seem to be appropriate. I also uninstalled Quicktime and reinstalled MSIE 5.5. Tried to install MSIE 6.0, but it told me it couldn't be installed on this computer.

But, alas, still can't get to the secure sites. Any more suggestions are dearly appreciated----------:)

Thanks, Hodi

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online