1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't edit or print a pdf file

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Dingus, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Hi folks. I have a Adobe file that won't allow me to change or print it. Can anyone tell me how to change this setting or why I can't do the above?

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

That is the beauty of PDF files. You can protect them so that people can't edit or print them. This is done when the PDF file is created. There are ways to hack it but it is against forum rules to provide that information.

4. MsPCGenius

MsPCGenius

Download Adobe reader (freeware). You will not be able to edit, but you should be able to print.

5. Squashman

As I said. When you create a PDF with Acrobat Professional, there is a feature you can set to not allow users to print the PDF. If you want me to send you an example I can.

6. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I have the freeware Ver so I can read my pdf file ok but that's all. From what you've said squashman I think whoever made the file has set it for reading only.
    I there a solution to this or do I have to live with it ?

7. Squashman

You have to live with it. Even if you have Acrobot Professional you will still need to know their passphrase to unlock the document so that you can then set it to print out.

8. MsPCGenius

MsPCGenius

Ease off Squashman... the user did not indicate the original document was, in fact, created with Professional, so I was offering him an alternative.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434404