Solved: Can't enter a folder, maybe damaged!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cb87

Hi guys,
I have an extern harddisk where I keep a lot of my files. When I restarted my computer (Windows XP) before logging into Windows, a blue screen came up and it seemed that there were som files being deleted. So in fear of my files on my harddisk, I turned it of, and the blue screen disappeared. Now I can't get into one of my folders on the extern harddisk. It says that the folder might be damaged or in use. But I'm quite sure its not in use, so I'm afraid that its damaged. What do I do?

Thanks for your help!

Back-up the files you CAN read to another drive, and then install and try THIS program. I think it works on external drives...never tried it that way, so let us know.
Don't install it to the external drive though...install it on main drive.

Scorp.

cb87

I havn't tried it, because it doesnt support the kind of files i'm trying to recover. Mostly it recovers picture file formats, or .WAV or .mp3's but I have a lot in the folder that are other formats as well, and I don't have the disk space to back up all the other files. I'm sorry that I can't test this product.

cb87

Well I guess I never thought about a recovery program, but this program helped me: Active@ File Recovery. It happened all by accident, and maybe it wasn't the program that helped med per se, but heres what happened:
As described all the files had been corrupted on a startup where it started to delete the files on my extern harddisk. I freaked so in panic I just turn off my harddisk and the deleting stopped. As I feared, when I got into Windows, turn the harddisk back on, the folder where it had spontainiously started deleting, had been corrupted and I couldn't enter it. So I tried using the Active@ recovery program, but my computer froze as it was do a "Superscan" for all my files so I turned of my computer the hard way. When turning it on again, before I got into Windows, the blue screen came up (the blue screen that had previously deleted the files and started this whole mess) and was now recovering my files for me. So Windows had somehow saved the files, and was just doing right what it had done wrong in the first place. If this confuses you, I don't blame you, because it doesn't really make any real sence, but hey sometimes these things just happen.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online