1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't find *.dbx files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by raybro, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Need a little help here. I know the *.dbx files are in my computer because I can find them with a search. The string shows them to be located right where they should be in C:/Documents and Settings/Ray/Local Settings/Application Data/Identities/etc. etc. The problem happens after I expand 'Ray"... There is no 'Local Settings' on the menu.

I've opened that in the past the copy my .dbx files to a flash drive when I wanted to do a recovery with Acronis, but now it's not there. So I ran a full backup of the C:/ drive and recovered to the previous set of Acronis backups. The files are still not there.

Am I missing something basic here? Senior moment maybe? Forest/Trees syndrome?

Raybro

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Folder Options. Unhide hidden files and folders.

3. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Checked status and 'show hidden files and folders' was already selected. Attempted to cycle the selection but system will not accept do not show. Clicking 'Apply' the OK and reopening folder options shows selection reverts to original setting (Show files and folders)

Raybro

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Can you use the "Results Tasks" to open the folder that contains the .dbx files ?
    Or "File>Open Containing Folder" ?

5. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

I'm at my wits end on this one. I've used Acronis to recover to my oldest backup and the Local Settings still fail to show up under my user folder (or any where else). The setting in folder options still has 'show hidden files and folders' selected and I cannot change that setting. Something is obviously amiss in the registry (my best guess).

I'm considering doing what I call an "over-install". Meaning I run the XP Home CD and reinstall the OS. I've done this on my old Win98SE system without disturbing installed programs, updates, etc, but I'm relatively new to XP. Is that doable with XP? Opinions about the effectivity doing this?

Alternatively, how about running a HJT scan and posting it. Would that be of any value? Perhaps someone can recommend another scan utility (hopefully a free one) that may be helpful.

BTW... I have run Spybot, AdAware and AV scans (AVG Free) with no problems found. I have JV16 available if anyone thinks that may be of value, but I'm not fond of registry cleaners and it's not my normal practice to use them.

Thanks in advance for reading this... Raybro

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

7. srhoades

srhoades

I would forgo the repair install. I would boot into recovery console and just copy them them to c:\ where you know you will be able to access them.

8. devil_himself

devil_himself

9. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

10. devil_himself

devil_himself

Right Click > Open With > Compressed (Zipped) Folders

11. NICK G

NICK G Banned

Your Windows Explorer shows this path to the dbx files?
    C:\Documents and Settings\Ray\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{DC40B654-
    6026-4B52-AAF7-9998CE175EAF}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\dbx files.
    But you can't open Ray and see Local Settings?:confused:
    The dbx files will only be in the owners account but Local Settings should be in all accounts.:)

12. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Yep, that's what I've got, and I agree it's :confused: :confused:

In my 'Ray' folder I only have Cookies, Desktop, Favs, My Docs, Start Menu, User Data and Windows. This comp is a single user with no password.

As I said in an earlier post, the *.dbx files show up in a search in the correct location as you indicated in your post, but Local Settings just isn't there.

Thanks for your intyerest... Raybro

13. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

I tried the Repair console and it asks for an Administartor password. I did not assign a password on this comp. :confused: :confused: Is there a generic P/W for access?

BTW... This is a Dell Inspiron Laptop and the Repair instruction link you provided indicates a Repair cannot be done with an OEM XP CD. That's what I have (I think).

Any ideas? Raybro

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

No if it asked for Admin password you did not do repair, but did first "R" which takes you to Recovery Console. Read the url I posted carefully as you need to choose new install there and go on to the second request for "Repair" function.

15. NICK G

NICK G Banned

Open control panel\folder Options\view and Restore Defaults and apply.
    This will hide Local Settings as it should be.
    This should stay in place after closing and opening again Folder Options.
    Now redo the above except uncheck hide extensions and protected OS and
    check Show Hidden Files and Folders. This should show Local Settings now.
    If not, some other protected feature is on probably in profiles.
    Searching for a cause now.:)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!