1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't find/install driver(s) for my DVD drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hhannam, Jun 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    While working on another computer problem it was detected that my DVD drive was not being recognized by the computer (and is of course not operable). I went to the manufacturer's website (LG) to look for the driver(s), but the only software available for my model was an updated firmware program, but I was unable to install that as well.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the DVD drive, but that had no effect. I do not have a backup disk for my system or data, and after a lengthy period a working on another problem I am very leery about doing any system restore for fear of reinstalling my other recent problems.

Any suggestions on how I can find the appropriate drivers and install them for my DVD? It seems very likely that my current driver(s) have been corrupted somehow, but I have been unable to locate replacements. As you can see from the attachment, my DVD, which is manufactured by LG, is a model HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42L (or just "GSA-H42L").

Thanks for looking.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, x86 Family 15 Model 75 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3518 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 238409 MB, Free - 200311 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., NODUSM3
    Antivirus: Comodo Internet Security suite

Attached Files:

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You do not need to install any driver for an optical drive. Windows has native drivers and there is no need for any other install.

This needs to be fixed before you do anything. Data you do not backup is data you do not care about AND you should expect to lose the data.

As to your drive problem, it is most likely a problem with the filters. Here is a MS support page to fix the problem for you however I highly advise you to have a current backup of anything important on your system.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

3. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    I appreciate the advice, but I can't do a backup until I get the DVD/CD drive working first. I'll let you know whether I had any success withe the support page you posted.

*************************************************************************************************************************************

4. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    After running the fixit program (I was unable to do the first recommendation of uplugging the DVD Drive because it's internal) it did later in the diagnostic scan claim there was a filter problem, and that it had fixed the problem (see attachments), but the DVD remains unrecognized by the computer....hmmm. Should I next shut down the computer and get inside to try replugging the DVD plugs into the computer?

Attached Files:

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you rebooted since running the Fixit? Also, sometimes a simple uninstall from Device Manager and reboot resolve the finally issues after running the Fixit.

Backups are best done to USB sticks or drives, DVD's are poor backup devices for numerous reasons.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It may be that the drive has simply failed. A quick and simple test is to boot the system with a bootable cd/dvd. This would be a windows install disk, linux live disk, or other bootable disk. If it boots fine with either of those, then you know the drive does in fact work. If it does not boot either of those, then the drive has most likely failed.

You can do a backup of important data using an external drive, NAS, network share or even a usb flash drive. There is no need for an optical drive to do a backup.

Up to you however if it were me, I would be a LOT more worried about not having a backup than not having an optical drive.

7. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    I uninstalled the DVD drive, restarted the computer, and ran the Fixit program again....it did fix the problem this time. Thank you ever so much for the solution.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Glad you got it sorted (y)

9. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick

You folks, and I'm speaking primarily to the moderators, have bailed me out many times now and I wanted to let you know I'm going to begin, at a minimum, an annual donation starting this coming weekend when my monthly pension deposit arrives. I truly appreciate not only your help when it's needed, but the usually very courteous and thoughtful attitudes you also provide along with your efforts. It's folks like yourselves that really make this world go round and we should all be grateful to have you with us. Keep up the great work!!

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That's nice to hear (y)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice