1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't find my new hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by larswebb, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. larswebb

larswebb Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,
    I installed a new Seagate 160g sata hard drive on my PC but it's not showing up. I found it in the device manager but not in my computer and I didn't see it the post. My Western Digital IDE 60g is still hooked up as the master and the new sata is on the primary sata connector. I have also tried it on the secondary. Seagates disk wizard can't find it,Acronis can't find it. Please Help!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It is good that the drive is showing up in the device manager. That means that both the computer and Windows is recognizing it.

All you may need to do at this point is partition and format the drive for it to show up in the Explorer.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

How about help in how to do that Bob?
    Right click my Computer, choose manage, Storage, Disk management then highlight the drive, and under action you can partition and format the drive.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Or you can start Diskmanagment directly ( start / run / diskmgmt.msc )

Yoiu need to partition first. Then you can format.

Also, make sure you assign it a drive letter.

6. larswebb

larswebb Thread Starter

Thanks Guys, I'll give that a try.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

8. larswebb

larswebb Thread Starter

Somethings not right. The only time I can see this drive is when I set it to raid. Then I can find it. It is enabled but unallocated. Do I have to use raid to use a sata drive? In device manager I have under SCSI and RAID controllers-Win XP Promise Fast Track 376(tm) Controller. What is that?

9. ~Candy~

Is the bios seeing the drive correctly? From my same link above:

Restart your computer. While the computer restarts, run the system setup program (sometimes called BIOS or CMOS setup). This is usually done by pressing a special key, such as DELETE, ESC, or F1 during the startup process.

Within the system setup program, instruct the system to auto detect your new drive.

Save the settings and exit the setup program. When your computer restarts, it should recognize your new drive. If your system still doesn't recognize your new drive, see the troubleshooting section on the back of this sheet.
    Serial ATA is a new interface type. Some older systems may see the drive and classify it as a SCSI device if you are using a Serial ATA host adapter. This is normal even though this is not a SCSI disc drive. This does not affect drive performance or capacity.

10. larswebb

larswebb Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have done all that a few times and it still can't find it. If I press ctrl/F while booting I get a RAID setup screen. If I select auto it will be set up as raid 1. Then I can find it in the device manager and it is enabled/unallocated. Formatting is not an option. It still isn't found in my computer.

11. ~Candy~

Is there an option in the bios setup to disable raid?

12. larswebb

larswebb Thread Starter

No, There is no option for that. Maybe I should take it in to the Pro's

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

There has to be a setting to disable raid, you just aren't looking in the right place...either that or a choice of raid or sata etc..

14. larswebb

larswebb Thread Starter

When I press DEL I get the SETUP screen. I can see all my drives and a SCSI device. SCSI is probably it right? In device manager it says it's working properly.
    When I press CTRL-F I get a RAID setup menu,I can enable or disable it there. I can find the new hard drive in this area but the original is not listed. If I select AUTO then save and exit I will find the new drive in disk management(enabled/unallocated). When I right click or select ACTION format is not an option. I'll look for a partion option when I get home.
    I'm trying to replace a old Western Digital IDE hd with 2 Seagate 160 sata drives. I don't want to use RAID, unless I have to.

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Are you certain you are plugging into sata 0 and sata 1?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice