1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "Can't find NTLDR" using XP boot CD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by winbob, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. winbob

winbob Thread Starter

The exercise began when I replaced the 30GB HD in my old laptop with a new 80GB drive, and used the Bootable Win/XP CD to begin rebuilding the drive. I got the subject 'NTLDR' msg. :eek:

So I put the old 30GB drive back in and rebooted with the same message :(

My son insisted that the message meant that the CD/DVD unit was bad.

To rule that out I burned a large file to CD, and tested it in both laptops....works fine.

Then I figured I would rule out the CD media itself as a problem by booting it in the newer HP laptop, and it booted up fine, and ran all the way thru loading setup files.

But still no glory with the old HP laptop.

So I am at a loss as to where the issue lies? :mad:

Any thoughts to shed some light on this one? :rolleyes:

2. Sponsor

3. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Hi bob,

It sounds like it's simply trying to boot from a drive that doesn't possess a NT Loader. I say this because you put the old drive back in - changed the boot priority back? - and then foud the same problem. Nothing has magically corrupted the working drive whilst it was out (unless you have a cat) so something else has changed.

Are you certain the boot priority is getting changed?

4. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Hi,

NTLDR is a Windows OS file (as far as i know) - therefore i presume that your hard drive is corrupt (the contents, not the physical drive). If this is the case, i would suggest you doing a repair install on the hard drive at issue, this should solve all problems - if you want information on how to do this, i posted it in another thread a few minutes ago.

Regards,
    Nick.

5. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Mav, two HD's (probably) can't have been corrupted.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Were these drive blank when you put them into the laptop?

Does the laptop even try to start off the Windows XP CD?

7. valis

valis Moderator

8. winbob

winbob Thread Starter

Guys, thanks for all the responses!

Let me clarify this a bit....The laptop boots perfectly from the HD, although it did have a HD issue previously which has been repaired by CHDSK. NTDLR has NEVER been an issue up to now.

The NTLDR msg ONLY occurs when I try to boot from the WinXP CD. It happens in this machine with the existing 30GB IBM HD or with the brand new 'pristine' 80GB Hitachi HD. I believe the IBM and Hitachi are actually both made by Hitachi...for what that's worth.

So, I'm thinking that the NTLDR issue is with the CD not the HD????? But since the CD boots up fine in my other laptop....I'm at a loss.

FYI, Looking at the contents of the CD shows NTLDR, NTDETECT, BOOTINI in the "Components" directory, not the Root.

So, given this "clarification" what do you think now?

9. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Ah, i misread the thing, i thought you said it happened only in one. In this case, it's probally the disc - also, look for scratches (obviousley).

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Stupid question, but do you get the same error if there are no hard drives in the laptop and you boot off the CD?

What model HP is it?

11. winbob

winbob Thread Starter

T6,

Just tried your experiment...same result. :(

Full MSG text is:

Boot CD-ROM Type: Non-Emulation Booting.
    CDBOOT: Couldn't Find NTLDR

and the CD will Boot fine in the newer Laptop :rolleyes:

Checked the BIOS options, and there are so few that there aren't any that affect anything related other than Boot order. No Joy!

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Does any CD boot in the computer?

13. winbob

winbob Thread Starter

Well I made a Boot CD from:

http://ebcd.pcministry.com/

and booted it in my newer laptop successfully. Booting it in the older laptop (HP ZT1170) gave the following msgs:

BootCD-ROM Type: Non-Emulation Booting

ISOLINUX 2.06 2003-08-22 isolinux: Image checksum error, sorry...

Boot failed: press a key to retry...

retry yields same result. :(

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

And that's exactly why I asked if any other CD's could boot in the computer.

So now we have determined that at least two CD's that work in other computers don't work in this one. Seems like at least a likely problem with the CD Drive.

15. winbob

winbob Thread Starter

Well here's a new wrinkle. I found the HP Restore Disks for the old laptop, and booted from them....successfully. :rolleyes:

So I have successfully restored the original system image to the 80GB HD replacing the original 30GB one.

BUT the question is how to get up to current level? The Restore is at SP1. Suggestions or comments on these new events? :eek:

16. valis

valis Moderator

go to Internet Explorer, tools > windows update, that should take care of that.

And get ready to reinstall drivers and whatnot too. :)

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/528320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice