1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Can't FIX This Password thing!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Nocontact, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

I'm running Win98 SE and I keep on getting the password promt on startup. It says that if I press cancel the prompt won't ask again but it always does. I tried a TSG search on this topic and have tried the control panel fixes and other suggestions but it just won't stop happening.
    I have Tweak UI installed but I don't think that I changed anything in there lately that would cause this.
    I also tries deleting and renaming the super.pwl file on two different occasions but nothing doing.
    It's really driving me crazy and I don't know what else to do.
    The last time I changed something I started getting a password prompt on Outlook too, so now things are getting worse!
    Startup is clean, no virus' found and no spyware.
    Any other ideas?

2. monted

monted

You did this already?

Click the Start menu, mouse over Settings, then click the control panel.
    Double-click the Network icon.
    Under "Primary Network Logon," make sure the "Windows Logon" is selected rather than the "Microsoft Network Logon."
    Click OK and then click OK again to restart your computer.
    When the logon window comes up, enter a name (it doesn't matter what name you pick), leave the password blank, and hit Enter.
    When your computer asks you to confirm that blank password, hit Enter again.

3. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

Yep, like I said I tried the standard answers that I found in my search but couldn't get it fixed. And I've been using this thing for months without this prompt and now for no reason it's coming up.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What happens if you leave it blank and then click ok ;)

5. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

If I leave it blank and then logon everything works but instead of it not appearing again like it says it will, it's right back there when I startup again. :confused:

6. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

If I leave it blank and then logon everything works but instead of it not appearing again like it says it will, it's right back there when I startup again. :confused:

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Had you ever typed in a password? If so:

Important note: For this to work, the password in the Windows logon screen must be blank (not filled with the space character, but blank). If you put a password in the first time the logon screen appeared, you have to take it out before you can banish the screen.
    To do so, open Control Panel, then double-click on the Passwords applet.
    Click on the Change Windows Password button.
    To make a change, you must re-enter the old password, first (this is what prevents people from disabling your Windows logon screen if you didn't want it done).
    Then you enter the new password twice (the second time is the confirmation).
    To blank the password, simply leave the new password and confirmation lines empty, then click on okay.

Cut and paste from here:

http://www.computerwriter.com/Star/2000/aug/cw082400 - banish that logon screen.htm

8. monted

monted

Make sure you put a name in the dialog before you click OK.

9. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi Nocontact,
    After you do what ACACandy said, go to find, files and folders, type in *.pwl

Then hit search or find
    Any entries that pop up rename the names and rename the extension to .old
    Do this to all entries then close everything and reboot you shoiuld get the prompt but it will say if you do not enter a password this will no bother you again or something like that

10. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    And just to be sure, you mentioned in your first post that you were clicking Cancel to get into Windows instead of OK. Clicking on Cancel won't stop the logon box from reappearing, in fact it will cause it to continue to appear because it disables "Password Caching". You must enter a User Name, leave the password box blank and click on OK, not Cancel.

11. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

Well I must say thanks though I'm not sure to whom. It seems as if this problem has been solved although I'm not sure what did it. The last thing that I remember doing before rebooting was renaming the password file to .old. Not sure if this did it or it was all the other suggestions but thanks to everyone who wrote in!

12. Balzac

Balzac Guest

It's the tweak UI causing it on startup. I just disabled it on my startup list.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114312

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice