1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't format Hard Drive - stops at 73%. What the?!!?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by awa13, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. awa13

awa13 Thread Starter

Holy *&^%, I am officially past aggravated. I needed to reformat an internal hard drive on a Gateway Laptop 7322GZ, 60GB drive. I am using a Windows XP Pro Upgrade CD (along with a full version of Windows 98SE for verification) and I deleted all partitions and set it to format the entire disk. Did not select quick format NTFS, just regular Format NTFS.

The drive used to have Windows XP Home on it. The boot.ini and many other operating system files were badly damaged or corrupt, so I had no choice other than to set it up as a slave drive and retrieve all of the data, then go for a full format and reinstall of OS. Now I am stuck here at my 2nd attempt at reformatting this drive and it will not format past 73%!!

I Googled and read about this happening (yes, at exactly 73%), but only on 160GB hard drive by Seagate and the solution was based solely on Vista 4 users. Yes, I searched and searched, but only found that exact entry/problem. (or maybe it was 260GB - I dunno).

So, what's going on and what is the easiest way to fix - or is the drive bad, or???

This is ridiculous .. really ..

Please, if anyone can assist soon I would really, really be grateful.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

3. awa13

awa13 Thread Starter

----------------

It's fujitsu. Did you know that was taken over by Toshiba?

Thanks, I'll check and see if that diagnostic program is on their new site.

4. awa13

awa13 Thread Starter

Found it - I'll give it a try. Thanks.

5. awa13

awa13 Thread Starter

Never tested drive with that diagnostic tool. Instead I set it up as a slave drive and plugged it into another computer with windows. When the drive appeared I was able to format it from there. Then I reinstalled it back into the computer it came from and installed Windows XP Pro. For some reason the format did not remove the old operating system, so I deleted old partitions, created a new one, attempted to install new OS. Took 4 tries before it overwrote old OS with the new one and all is fine now.

Thank you for reading my post and your assistance. It is greatly appreciated. :)

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

I would not trust that drive with any data I cherished

7. valis

valis Moderator

seconded and carried. That thing doesn't want to play nice at all.

8. awa13

awa13 Thread Starter

I know, I know - I agree. <sigh>

9. valis

valis Moderator

piece of advice; get an external drive and back up weekly. I keep nothing in the my docs folder. I have a folder off of the root called 'valis' and in there I have my hierarchy of folders. I keep the external drive at work (WD 1 tb w/enclosure; dirt cheap these days, and as I have a ton of music and movies, I actually use about 3/4 of that space) and every monday night I take it home and using MS's synchtoy synch the two folders, then take it back to work and lock it up.

Work blows up, got my data at home. Home blows up, vice versa.

Both blow up, I'm probably not going to care, as I am usually at one or the other. :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!