1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cant format hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joshkp3, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joshkp3

joshkp3 Thread Starter

i installed linux then decided i wanted windows back so i tried to format the hard drive it wouldnt format, i looked at the file system and it says raw, what do i do???!!! i need that hard drive!!!:(

2. erick295

erick295

Windows does not work well with Linux filesystems. You'll probably have to use another program like Partition Magic to remove the Linux filesystem. Alternatively, you can use a low-level format utility from the drive's manufacturer. This would completely erase all the data on the drive, and Windows would then be able to format it. Go to the manufacturer's web site to download the utility.

3. joshkp3

joshkp3 Thread Starter

thanx i was a bit worried:)

4. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon joshkp3, the madboot floppy disk will also do the low level format you need.
    It's scary when you can't fdisk a drive.
    qldit.

5. joshkp3

joshkp3 Thread Starter

I downloaded madboot and im formating right now but its taking a long time.its been 40 minutes and it is at only 5% and what format is it being formatted?

6. Trifecta

Trifecta

If you have an XP disc, the setup will format the drive using NTFS. A great option, though, is to use Partition Magic. Works like a charm for me.

7. qldit

qldit

Good Morning joshkp3, that would be the low level format you are using, what actually happens is that zeroes are being written to each memory position, this is why it takes so long.
    The benefit of this is that anything previously on the drive is overwritten and will not cause any unpredictable future problems.
    You would be aware that data could othewise have some possible bearing or be retrievable and even detrimental with later written data.
    qldit.

8. joshkp3

joshkp3 Thread Starter

yes i think i might of clicked the low level format too

9. joshkp3

joshkp3 Thread Starter

will canceling it do any harm to the hard drive? im sick of waiting cause its 9:49 here and its only 26% done

10. joshkp3

joshkp3 Thread Starter

It works!! problem solved.:) I dont know what id do if it wernt for you guys (y)

11. qldit

qldit

G'day, yes the area at the beginning where the MBR was, is the main problem area with some Linux Distros converting back. In some cases MS fdisking programs would not delete the Linux stuff. This was especially evident with earlier Mandrake distros.
    Zero writing the entire area overcame this problem or using some commercial set-up programs with similar techniques.
    At 26% you are well past that area. (the MBR area is probably only a fraction of one percent)
    The drive should operate normally with the MS setup ptograms now.
    qldit.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/444319

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice