1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: can't format hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ajrobson, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

I have a new harddrive I have run seatools on it to clear everything having done this I tried to format the harddrive but everytime I try this it says format did not complete, if I plug the harddrive into an icybox and try to format it on another pc then put it back in mine it works apart from i can't run chkdsk or disk defrag can anybody tell me why it won't work on mine as if it is faulty i can get my money back.

2. Flags

Flags

aj: You can use your Seatools disk to run a diagnostic test on the drive. That, at least will tell you if he drive is faulty, or has bad sectors.

I don't understand why you would use Seatools on a new disk to clear it as it would already be raw when you buy it.
    You would then format it to put a file system on the disk to prepare it for an Operating System or to store data.

3. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

Ok I have just done the short and long checks in the sea tools for dos it found nothing wrong and said it had passed, but i still get the same problem I cannot format the hard drive. not sure if this is also part of it but when you click to format the only choice i have is ntfs. Any help or suggestions at all would be excellent as I am moving back to uni on saturday so really want to get this solved before then.

I am also running the seatools for windows it has passed both short tests I am now doing the long ones

4. dedbeat

dedbeat

you can format it via dos or windows. try not to use the quick option. again i dont know why you're using seatools on a new drive. if its a new new drive and you want to partition might need to run fdisk.

5. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

I'm using seatools because it was suggested to me because since getting the hard drive i have not been able to do chkdsk or disk defrag I tried using dos it said:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Michael>format J:
    The type of the file system is RAW.
    Please use the /FS switch to specify the file system
    you wish to use on this volume.

How would i use fdisk on the hard drive? I am not using the drive for OS just to keep music on.

6. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

OK just re-did the tests it failed on the long generic test using seagate for windows, Can anybody offer any suggestions or help?

7. dedbeat

dedbeat

soudns like ur drive is buggered. try using software like norton disk doctor to see if it can be corrected. or if you bought it new go back to the store and get it changed.

8. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

you were right buggered hard drive so I sent it back it had a number of bad sectors seatools did not manager to fix them so I have sent it back.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/623520

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice