1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't format RAW 16 GB SD Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeadGlow, Mar 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DeadGlow

DeadGlow Thread Starter

So I got this 16 GB SD Card which I was using for my Samsung Galaxy S2 (yes I know I'm behind don't judge me :p), and I decided to use "Link2SD" to 'extend' my Internal memory (since that phone only comes equipped with less than 2GB -.-)
    Anyways, in order to do that I had to partition my SD Card. Now I know how to do that via PC, but I was a bit... hasty in doing so and decided to do it on my phone. Miraculously, it worked and I had 2 FAT32 partitions, one being 10 gb and the remaining being on the other. After a while, I got sick of the Link2SD app telling me that it would be better to partition the second half as EXT, so like the picky idiot I am, I repartitioned my SD Card, using my phone, into 2 partitions, one 9 GB Fat32 (for normal storage) and the other one being a ~6GB Ext4 partition (for the extension). At first I got problems because the SD Card wouldn't eject properly as it had two partitions. Eventually it went through but DISASTER! I looked at the partitions on the SD Card and it was 14.9GB of RAW memory. I got worried and plugged the card into my PC, and tried to format it the normal way (the prompt that appears when you plug in a unformatted storage drive). I got a warning that it couldn't be completed, and that it didn't succeed. Then I tried doing it via the Computer Management window but even that kept failing. I then tried using this HP Formatting application (on PC this time) to attempt it but it said that the drive was Write-Protected. I then tried using diskpart on CMD to turn off readonly, but I kept getting the same error message and when I tried cleaning the disk, it would say that it's not ready. What can I do to fix this? Or did I completely mess up...?:confused:

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  3. DeadGlow

DeadGlow Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, but I already managed to fix it. The simple volume thing came up when I tried again this morning and it fixed it, but thanks anyway :)

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Glad you fixed it. (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice