1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't get 2 computers networked, what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Bobby, Mar 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bobby

Bobby Thread Starter

Just visiting my mom for a week and can't manage to get her to machines to talk to each other.

They are both using Windows ME, both have the same workgroup name (identical in capital letters too), each has its own computer name, each has a shared folder (I made it the hard drive C to simplify things), in the "Configuration" tab of "My Network Places" each has "File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks" installed, each has "Client for Microsoft Networks" as the "Primary Network Logon, each has "I want to be able to give others access to my files" and "I want to be able to allow others to print to my printers" in the "File and Print Sharing" tab, and each has "Share-level access control" checked in "Access Control".

The computer in the bedroom recognizes the workgroup but only sees itself (bedroom), while the computer in the livingroom recognizes the workgroup but only sees itself (livingroom).

What am I missing here?

2. blin

blin

3. Bobby

Bobby Thread Starter

I had a look at the ping instructions you suggested but I can't follow it all.
    It looks like the "subnet" may be different, in one case it's 255.255.255.0 and the other case is 255.0.0.0.
    Other than that everything appears to be working normally.
    At one point in the suggestions they talked about using netbios over TCP/IP but I have no idea what they are talking about and how to implement it.

any other ideas?

4. Raijin Z

Raijin Z

Different subnets? Easy fix. In the network control panel, select TCP/IP for your video card and click the properties button. Manually set the IP address and subnet mask on each system.

Simple, I think.

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Damn! Where the hell is the TCP/IP on my video card!

Sorry man had to do it!

6. Bobby

Bobby Thread Starter

Ok, found the solution.

In the properties fiield of TCP/IP Wireless/G PCI Adapter, one of the computers did not have "Detect connection to network media" enabled.

By the way, changing the TCP/IP settings manually and the subnet resulted in not being able to access the internet anymore so I had to go back and have it assigned automatically.

Thanks to all for your help.

7. blin

blin

thank you for the update. we need that.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can use the thread tools at the top right to mark your post solved once you have resolved the problem. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/341021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice